New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have never been biten by chiggers until now and wow do they itch is there anything i can do to releive this hell that me and my son are going thru

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
sex
it always makes me feel better.

biten by chiggers
try and not that happen. :D

the damage is done. they will itch for a few days. some guys use chiggerX or something like that. i just suffer through them.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I had them about a week ago. I just used some bug bite gel for temporary relief. I found that when I let them air out they didn't itch as much. But when I wore long socks and my work boots it was horrible. I bought some permethrin to spray on my clothes, and now where some underarmor type tights the last two times I went into the woods and did not get any on me. they will take more than a few days to stop itching, I got them the Wednesday before last and I can still see the bites.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
I just bought some permamone spray to marinate my scouting/baiting outfit in and keep treated in an airtight container. That stuff is suppose to really do the trick on chiggers. I had them crawling all over my pants yesterday but no bites thanks God. I got a few bite from an extended scouting trip last time out though, no fun.

·
Registered
260 Posts
went to walgreens today and got some stuff. ask them they got 3 different things i got the last bottom of this junk. i have i would say 50-70 chigger bites ranging from my toes to ankles, all up my legs BAD, stomach, back, neck and arms. i even showered and the things wouldnt come off!!! [cry] it hurts and itches so bad! but the stuff soothed it a little. only itchy in a couple places

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Little doe wash all your clothes and boots in hot water or your gonna get more.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
[rofl][rofl] Sorry LittleDoe but thats just to funny.

Many home remedies for chigger bites are based upon the incorrect belief that chiggers burrow into and remain in the skin. Nail polish, alcohol, and bleach have been applied to the bites to attempt to "suffocate" or kill the chiggers. But because the chiggers are not present in the skin, these methods are not effective.

Treatment for chigger bites is directed toward relieving the itching and inflammation. Calamine lotion and corticosteroid creams may be used to control itching. Oral antihistamines, such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl), may also be used for symptom relief.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
i give em a good scratch and then put some blue mineral ice on the bites. takes the itch out anyway.the trick is to get home and scrub down as fast as possible.

·
Registered
6,592 Posts
We learned the hard way a few years back when tracking a downed deer. They seem to love the low brush and laurels. They love the area around ankles, waistband and armpits for some reason. Thats the areas you gotta spray well. Tuck in your pants into your boots also. I wear nylon camo pants with pull tight straps around the ankles and waistband. when scouting now and its a little harder for them to penatrate. They were crawling allove my pants yeasterday and I immediatley tossed then in the wash for a hot cycle them treated them.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Got hit myself last Sunday. So bad I went to a Dr. - prednisone shot and antihistimines did the trick. If you have the coverage - use it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
This may be a stupid question, but what are chiggers? what do they look like? how do you know that's what is itching you? I am totally serious, never had a problem unless I just chalked it up to something bit me or is it really that painful you would know?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Chiggers are red mites which are very difficult to see - they are about 1/50th of an inch long as larvae. These are the ones who bite and do the damage. Adults are about 1/20th an an inch, difficult to see but possible. They don't bite.

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
never had them...they say its the saliva right? maybe some people arent bothered by it just like some arent allergic to poison ivy>

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I get them every year.Once i had well over a 100 bites From my head to my toes.I used clear nail polish and had my wife dab all the bites and it did help.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Tjhere is nothing better on the Market than Chigg Away, It is sold at Harrys on RT 130 bordentown. If you know anyone in the military YSAR or AC soldiers get it free. It is sulfer based and will immediately provide relief and clear up the bites in 203 days rather than 2-3 weeks.. If you are local I would be glad to give you some. I am at range 14 FT Dix most sundays.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts