New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brotherin-laws father has an old double barrel shot gun. It came with the house he bought ions ago. He claims it is from the 1800's but I doubt it. The former owner told him he used to take it out and shoot it once a month,year whatever. I doubt that too. The problem is the wooden stock is cracked as it hung over a fireplace for years. He wants to get it refurbished. I say he should get it appraised first as it might be worth more in it's original state. So could anyone recommend a good Gunsmith and or appraiser in the Montville area, and I will p [no swearing please] on the information. Thank You.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Ray's Sport Shop has a guy named Neil who does the appraisals for them. Good guy with a lot of knowledge.
What make is the gun, hammers or not etc.? Maybe we could at least give you a start.

·
Registered
505 Posts
TJC you know gun values ??? i have a w.moore co. side by side 12 ga, damacus barrels, mule ear hammers, this is the different part, instead of having a wood forearm, it has a metal one, which consist of two levers, one you push to the right, and the barrels break open, the other smaller lever you push to the left and the barrels come off. the stock has some fancy wood, don't want to clean it up as they say it takes the value away. the gun was made in england in the mid 1850's from what i've learned, and has a 4 digit serial number on both the barrels and action can't remember what it is now as i'm at work, now it sits in my closet, the gun is in very good cond, and yes i've shot it many times, a gun smith i took it to said i can have the barrels x-rayed at a substantial cost, but said if it were his gun he'd feel safe shooting it. i used to buy navy arms black powder shotgun shells, pretty cool to shoot at midnight on newsyears eve. any idea what it's worth ???????

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
gypsy,
Not on good old stuff like that I'm not. LOL
A good place to start would be the Blue Book of Gun Values though.
I'll check with the info you gave me and see if there is anything. But you really need to talk to someone that knows about the older doubles.
Where do you live? There is a Griffin and Howe in Bernardsville. I'm sure someone there might be able to help you.
Neil at Ray's may also be a starting point that can help or steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Write to Guns and Ammo, submit photo and they may feature it on "What's it Worth?" or at least give you an appraisal.

I'm sure there are a few sources on line - check with NRA sources.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Two things.

1 There is a guy in PA that can make a custom stock for any gun. I have his card at home if you are interested I can get more info.

2 If this gun is that old you need to determine if it is a Damascus barrel. If it is the outside OD of the barrel will have spiral lines. A Damascus barrel is made by winding thin strips of metal around an arbor. It probably will blow up if you fire modern shot shells through it. Keep in mind that some early shotgun barrels made from solid steel had the finish made to look like a Damsacus barrel for cosmentc purposes. So if there are spiral markings it may or may not be a Damascus. An expert can tell for sure. If it is a Damascus barrel it is probably worth a lot of money.

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What make is the gun, hammers or not etc.? Maybe we could at least give you a start.
Posted: 12 Dec 2005 6:51 AM
Don't know a thing about the gun. Just don't want him to restore a gun and have it lose value.
I asked about if it had a damascus barrel and he didn't know what that was. I would love to look at it myself.:)

Thank you everyone for the replies, atleast it's a start.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts