New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Do you scout?[confused]

Go find a thick area, and set up on the downwind side of it.

Black River seems to be full of good spots from the minimal time Ive put in there. Heck, I only scouted it once and the first day I ever hunted it I shot a big doe. Put my brother in a spot that looked really good and on the first day he had a BIG six pointer at ten yards (ground blind). Unfortunately it was too thick and he couldnt get a shot. Wouldve been his first bow buck....He was 16.

Look around in there.....you'll find deer.
Like I said, focus on the thicker areas, and the areas that are further from the parking areas.

You'll get one![up]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just started to hunt here. I do scout probably not asmuch as I should. Been out 1 morning post and three night, kicked up 2 deer when leaving, otherwise no deer. Set up along marked trails. I just want to fill my requirment and go south for a buck I have in mind.

·
11,226 Posts
Welcome to the site nodeer! [up] Scouting is the best way to figure out where to go. I'm not all that familiar with the layout over there but I've heard great things about that piece and If you put in the time you should be able to get yourself that deer! How long have you been hunting?

·
11,226 Posts
don't laugh 22 years.
:D Hahahaha...Just kidding!;) Just a matter of time in a place like that before you find a deer! Try and find a good run coming out of a thicket is what I would do! Try and catch them coming from or going to bed....Good luck![up]

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I live in Randolph and have been hunting private property in Hunterdon for years, just realized I could get a doe in any EAB so I will hunt there to save gas.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
Look for standing corn fields or any crop fields. After the rain is over is the best time to scout... You'll be able to find trax and then you can pick a nice tree or blow down to hind behind. I said you kicked up some deer on the way out.... If you remember where that is , put up a tree stand and wait for them there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did get closer to were i saw them no luck, it has been wet and windy, may have something to do with it. There is a lot of standing corn, hard to find a good tree too put my portable in. very thick around the corn and open fields and hedgerows. Thanks for the help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts