New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found an old spent shell one day on some state property a few years back, never got around to looking into what it may be from. there are no markings on it, and no primer in it. Its larger than a 12 gauge, i do not have a 10 gauge to compare it to though. ill get the specs of it and then post pictures. im thinking its from a flare gun, but there was no water around this property.

Brass
3" long
.926" outside diameter
.839" inside diameter
.250" primer opening

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
Could it be something left over from before say 1900. Like when they went from percusion to carttridges. Maybe look up the "Rolling Block". They converted a lot of guns back then to accept the new cartridges. It was a new developement, hence the missing primer. Let us know when you find out.[up]

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i cant figure it out! driving me nuts, i also have a paper 12 gauge shell. Made by Peters (made in the usa) High Velocity shell. just strange things i found when younger hunting. [up]

·
Registered
12,709 Posts
I posted the description and photos up on Saubiers Reloading site. These old timers know every piece of brass ever made. I am sure I will get an answer for you [up]

I have no clue.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I posted the description and photos up on Saubiers Reloading site. These old timers know every piece of brass ever made. I am sure I will get an answer for you

I have no clue.
awesome thanks! [up]

yeah i got no idea what it is, i dont know why it would be Military, no bases near by. interested in seeing what these guys say it is.

·
Registered
12,709 Posts
MilesAway got it. 8ga. Punt gun hull

Here is the post from a collector.

I'm tell ya its just a plain old brass 8 ga. hull. Winchester made brass hulls from 9mm RF to 4 ga., Remington also produced brass hulls up to at least 8 ga. Most of them where marked though, I have seen smaller hulls with nothing marked on them when I was collecting cartridges but nothing of this size, you don't find brass hulls of this size every day thats for sure. Wish I would have found it. I have a Greener 10ga. side lever double that I still shoot brass and paper hulls in its great fun, sure makes the game warden scratch his head.

Bob

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.