New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks i just did an add alevel to my house.The old unit had to be removed because it was in the attic.
I want to do two zones,one for the upstairs and one for the down.

I have estimates for 2 systems one each for the up and dowm and estimates for a heat pump with furnace and zone dampers.

I like the heat pump and damper system its carriers infinity greenspeed with up to 20 seer. And a 97 plus furnace.A bit more money but more efficient.

I'm looking for pros and cons on the two seperate systems versus the heat pump and dampers

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
i did installs and service work years ago and found that Heat Pumps are not that good from the Carolinas North. better off with Gas or Oil fired Forced Hot Air or Hot Water system. i'd go with the 97% Furnace and not the heat Pump Furnace combo

·
Registered
1 Posts
if you have the budget put in hot water baseboard. its a much better way to heat. dont forget that you spend much more time heating your house then cooling it in the average year. baseboard is quiet, and radiates heat as opposed to warming the air, meaning it is much more comfortable. going to cost you more but if you plan on living there for the next 20 years well worth the extra cost. find somewhere else to save money if that an issue.

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
Is radiant an option? It would work awesome on that slab.
Look into Runtal baseboard. it could be manufactured into any spec you could imagine, and looks awesome and is 100% more durable than slant fin.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Do you have natural gas at your house?I would go with the 97 plus furnace with a harmony zone dampers.The harmony system is nice but$$$$.It's nice to control the differnt part's of your home.If you want another quote give my company a call,Aggressive Mechanical contractors 732-502-9300 ask for Jim Bruno.

·
Banned
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Does anybody object to the heat pump with dampers. Or to you recommend a standard condensor should be my question.
Efficiency wise as a installer what would you do in your own home.

·
Registered
714 Posts
i have been out of the hvac field for a few years now,BUT we very rarely installed heat pumps up here,they are more of a southern thing..... they extract the heat out of air(some with a small electric heating coil inside)....so the colder the air the less eff. they become..... hot water baseboard is not really a problem even with a slab basement. i did mine in my house....but if you want forced hot air get a furnace,not a heat pump IMO......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.