New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just about done packing my gear. I'm leaving NJ at 3 AM Friday. Heading to Ohio. archery season starts 10/1. This is my first time there, so I'm hoping for some luck.I'll take lots of pix and post when I return. John

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Good luck. I am always envious of someone who can go on trips like that. Someday, I'll be able to go on those trips.
Don't just shoot a big, shoot THE big one.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Good luck, let us know how you do. I can't make it out for the opener, but will be taking a 4 day weekend out there next weekend.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can't sleep so I'm heading out now11:45 PM. Thanks for all the support. John

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm back . I saw alot of deer. The weather was clear but to damn hot. I could have killed a Deer on every post. Saw 30 Doe and 2 buck on 10/2 AM. Had a 110 inch 10 point at 20 yards but could't get a shot. Didn't see any PY deer while hunting, but saw 2 the night before the season opened. We where about 400 yards away from a field that we would hunt the next day. At 7:15 a big 10 ran out of the timber, chased a few does and ran into the corn. Later another PY buck came out of the corn also.
I had a good 7 point come out to the edge of a secluded food plot on Monday at 9:15 AM. There was a crab apple tree that he was eating by for 10 minutes. Then he started to return to the timber. I hit my grunt call and he turned around and walked directely to me. I drew on him but he kept coming straight on. He finally staopped at 3 yards but no broadside shot. I held at full draw for over 2 minutes and he got startled and ran about 25 yards and stopped quartering away. I set my pin on him and fired. Unfortunately I hit him way back but thought I may have hit liver. We left him alone for 4 - 5 hours and searched for a few hours and never found him.There was no blood and the timber was so thick he could have been laying 15 feet from us and we wouldn't have seen him. Totally sucks.
There was a guy there from NY State that killed a pretty nice buck on Saturday AM. I will post the pix tomorrow.

B

·
0 Posts
well thats hunting for you, but at least you had a good time and great memories[up]

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
At least you got out and had a good time, good for you . My dream is to go to Illinois sometime soon. My brother in law has 150 acres in Missouri I might go there for 2 weeks next thankgiving. Back to Mendham for you now? or are you going to a different zone.

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I"ll be in Mendam Next week . Then I let that be until the rut .I can't shoot a buck in Nj till Extended bow. I'm going to Illinois from Oct 31 - Nov 5th.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts