New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Goin to the Hill Country August 5th - 8th.[up]

Must whack piggies and have been asked to cull out some sheep (corsicans, red sheep) - no trophies just meat. P [no swearing please] the gravy:D.

Bringing the bow and the .270win - also going to do some hand-gunning.

Its a lot to do in short time, but I haven't been down there in a few years.

I will primarily use the bow - usually I'd need at least a week for solid bow-hunt or rifle hunt. I'm hoping for luck while 'still hunting' at sunrise and the culling will be done from small blinds late in the day.

I shoot at 55lbs and I use Carbons with 100gr Muzzies.
I've been thinking about experimenting with different heads for this trip.
Lets hope I can get the camera ready this time.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks JJoe!

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Leakey - Hill Country - about 1.5 hours sw of San Antonio.
Buffalo Creek Ranch.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Doing some last minute shopping.

Need some hot weather camo, Lightweight BDU's -
100gr broadheads -Thinking about experimenting with mech. expandables - any thoughts? Or testing out the Atom?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I use jak-HAMMER -SST made by Wasp 100 grain 1-3/4 cutting diameter. It looks like it was shot with a slug. [up][up][up]

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 3/4"!!! [cool]

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wish it was a full week!

After reading how everyone else is going 'stir crazy' with all the deer sightings and urges to hunt, I had to jump on this trip. The new tree-stand can wait.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[cool]tomorrow - I'll be in San Antonio at noon.

The gear is packed. SKB Double compact case: 1 bow about a dozen arrows, hunting clothes - three sets of broadheads.

The rifle is staying home.[down]
I'm travellin light.

I need to concentrate on archery and my bro will gladly let me use his .35 Rem if need be, just needs to be sighted in.

My mission: kill some boar for the table and freezer, as well as some ewes for mutton. I've also been given a task to try to find audad - they are numerous but elusive - no kill just scout.
What I don't keep will be donated to a food bank in San Ant.
If the opportunity presents I will be able to report the performance of each different broadhead on similar sized game.

All 100 grain heads. Magnus 2-blade stinger, Jack-hammer SST mechanical, and the old stand-by Muzzy three blade.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts