New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I'm looking to get a havahart trap for all the damn squirrels in my yard. They are eating through my cedar siding and getting into my walls.
I really don't feel like buying a new I. If anyone has one they are looking to get rid of or one they'll lend me, let me know.
Yes, Matty, I kow I will catch some crap for this post. But, I wouldn't expect it any other way.:D

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Now why on earth would we tease you? I think you underestimate us sometimes Mike. We are mature adults and we can be serious when the need arises.

We are here to help you! You say you have squirrel problems. So what exactly is the problem. YOU RACOON F#(*ER! LOL :D

At least you fully expected us to unleash the hounds of humor on you.[up]

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Oh yeah, I have a haveaheart trap that you can borrow, (IF I can find it).

Just so you know, they arent as dumb as they look, and it takes a while to catch a lot of them.[down]

Just take out the slug gun and start blasting them!:D

Thats what I do...the neighbors love me!;):D

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I have a bunch of them, different sizes, Your more than welcome to borrow them. Why not just shoot them with a pellet gun. Were are you located ???

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
I second the pellet gun idea [up] If nothing else, it's good cheap practice for muzzleloader/shotgun hunting.

David

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Critter expert here when it comes to chipmunks squirels etc.. You are wasting your time with the trap. Shoot them. You can't possibly catch enough to do anything to control them. Pump bb gun will kill them with head shots. Can't poison them to well either thy hoard the food and don't consume enough to kill them. Coyote or Fox pee around the yard may work. It absolutely works on chipmunks. I used to have my daughter sit on the deck and shoot them with the bb gun it was great practice and if her grades were bad etc.. she was punished until she got a dozen. Just had to sit out there for a few hrs a day until she got 'em. Sometimes it was a day or two and sometimes a week. Some day when I have more time I'll post my story on critters and you will all see that Bill Murray and Caddyshack was child's play compared to my adventure. Shoot 'em is the only way to be sure they are gone for good.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've already killed 3 coming out of my house. The last one I got went back into the hole. My wife and I thought it was going to die in the hole. We eventually scared it out.
I may try this if the wife lets me. Quite I few years ago I shot a few squirrels and was going to keep the tails. I hung them outside for awhile. Then were no squirrels in my yard for the next 2 years. Maybe I'll try that.

·
Registered
15,970 Posts
I was an exterminator and still do side work. I can tell you tree rats are a bitch to get rid of. you need to implement several diffrent methods.
We used to be able to use a dust called Ditrac tracking powder. It worked pretty good but its illegal and Home owners could not buy it anyway.
I would use several Havaharts and also if you can get your hand on them I would try and get a couple
of mink traps. They work well and I would modify the traps and screen off the back end and bait w/ peanut butter. you can secure these traps in your gutter or other areas. There is also 1 way traps you can use.

Oh and please dont try and bang these critters after you kill em .. its bad enough you copulate with them while theyre alive..

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I could send you a link for these great snap traps. The damn things take 2 hands to pull the bar back. Took the head clean off one when I tried to get it out of the trap.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I need one too. I have a raccoon living between my walls. I saw him the other night coming out of the basement window well. I have been hearing him for a week. He seems to den up under my bathtub. He makes noise when he gets back to the den about 5am.

I was thinking about shooting through the wall or bathtub with my .45,but then he would be dead in the wall, I would have holes in the wall, and have to explain the firearms discharge to the local PD.

I live in an apartment complex so I'll just let them call an exterminator....Hmmmm .....That sounds like a fun job.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Posted: 06 Oct 2005 8:56 PM

Currently Offline Posts: 547
The heck with the haveaheart, get a 110 connibear.
I long for the day when we had leg hold traps.

The ban of those was a victory for the anti's. hopefully their last.

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
I long for the day when we had leg hold traps.
to be honest with you I was glad when they banned the leghold trap, I don't trap but don't criticize anyone that does,but I was never a fan of legholds for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
110 conibear may not be fast enough for a squirle, better make is a double spring 120.
I use a .22 pelet gun. Shoots at 800 fps very accurate and quite.

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
I assume your reasons is catching someone's dog.
Thats the main reason, not just dogs but peoples pets in general,we had a cat come home dragging one one time,I'm not a real cat lover but it really pissed me off. At least with snares the animal can be set free.

The other reason is I believe in a quick kill and not making an animal suffer and thats what legholds aren't about.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
ted: 07 Oct 2005 11:44 AM

Currently Offline Posts: 457
Quote:
I assume your reasons is catching someone's dog.

Thats the main reason, not just dogs but peoples pets in general,we had a cat come home dragging one one time,I'm not a real cat lover but it really pissed me off. At least with snares the animal can be set free.

The other reason is I believe in a quick kill and not making an animal suffer and thats what legholds aren't about.
I used to trap muskrats with size 0 to size 1 1/2 legholds when I was a kid. Surprisingly I never caught anyones pet. I never had a muskrat chew his leg off because I always checked my traps at or just before dawn. I did once catch a muskrat that had chewed his leg off in someone else's trap.

I also used conibears. These were ok for muskrats and killed them instantly. However,I never saw a conibear big enough for a coyote or even a fox.

I think conibears are still legal, but have to be submerged when set.

You are right legholds are less than humane. Thus it was a sore spot for the anti's to sieze on. We need to prevent them from finding sore spots. Now adays the prevailence of hunter ethics has eliminated ligitmate issues those a'holes can use.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts