New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems since I turned thirty I am really starting to put on unwanted weight? Anybody else struggling with this and is it effecting your hunting? Last season I was 235 at the start of bow season. right now I'm over 280 pounds. It worries me that by the time bow season starts I might be shopping for some "fat boy" treestands. I want to get on a diet and exercise program but it seems that in order to have any succes a lifestyle change is in order. I'm gonna try to cut out fast food first of all and start exercising. It seems cutting weight has just gotten so much harder after 30.....

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Cutting out fast food is a great start. I cant stand fast food, so thats a plus for me. My girlfriend does Atkins and lost a ton of weight quickly. A lot of people have a hard time cutting the Carbs, but it works. Good luck.[up]

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Not weight gain but my family growing when it was just me I hunted a ton now I have a wife and 2 kids juggling everything and work is what affects my hunting.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I'm only 27 and it's harder than it used to be. I was 220 about 6 months ago not really big but overweight for my height. I'm now down to 195 which is about where I should be for my height and that's where I plan on staying. Exercise is definitely good but diet is the biggest part of it. I had to cut out some of the junk/fast food but the biggest thing I did was started eating more fruits and vegetables and sticking to serving sizes. I think a lot of the weight I lost was not necessarily the result of changing what I ate but just eating less of it. It's hard now but think of what it will be like at 40 or 50 or 60... It's worth a little sacrifice in the short term to get yourself into better health and be able to get more enjoyment out of the outdoors.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for advise. I'm 6 2 with broad shoulders how much should I weigh? when I was a senior in high school I was 189 pounds but I don't see how I could ever weight that again.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I had a problem after a hip injury last year where I packed on about 25 extra. I am 33 and I know cutting weight isnt as easy as it was when I was in my 20's. Start slow and set short term goals instead of a year down the road. The small goals you accomplish will keep you motivated and setting new and higher goals. Even if you start with walking a few nights a week for 20 or 30 minutes you will see a change. Start including some weight training after a few weeks too, building muscle is going to burn fat faster. I found that cutting my meals to 5 or 6 smaller ones per day and eating cleaner has helped me cut fast. Also drink plenty of water, it makes a huge difference. Talk to Dsaint, he is a trainer and has some great programs. Good luck

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I am 61 and 270#. My entire adult life I was 170-185#. When I hit 45 I started having trouble with weight gain.I had always done a tremendous amount of exercise: running; bike riding; weight lifting; ice hockey then a bunch of injuries prevented me form getting much exercise. About 10 years ago I got back down under 200#, but that only lasted for a year. I have a number of health issues not all due to the weight gain. I still hunt from a trestand ( I think mine is rated for 300#) The biggest problem I have is being exausted after a hunt. I also cannot hunt some of the places I have in the past because it is too far from where I can park.

·
Registered
361 Posts
guys if you are large framed then don't go by the charts. I tried for years and still battle weight gain. Running/jogging has been my best tool but not everyone can do this. You have to start with portion size, diet, than an exercise you find enjoyable....as said earlier.....lose the weight and hunt more comfortable.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I went for a check up at my primary care physician and had blood work done thyroid etc in may. He said everything was ok. thanks for all the suggestions guys. I'm considering going to a dietician to find out what I should be eating.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
I'm only 27 and it's harder than it used to be.
I remember my brother telling me once you hit 25, it starts and then gets worse every 5 years later. I should have listened to him!

In answer to Ultramag, yes, it has an impact and it gets worse as you get older. At 6' 1" I could never get under 195, but I think anything under 220 is good for me.

Best diet tips...get off the junk food, drink a big glass of water 5 minutes before you eat and don't eat after 8:00 at night.[up]

·
Registered
4,885 Posts
Do yourself a favor and start a NOWWWW!

Buy this Book, The Game on, Diet!

http://www.harpercollins.com/books/9780061718892/The_Game_On_Diet/index.aspx

I personally know the authors and my boot campers are very happy with their progress and this fun method of dieting. I have also reviewed the unreleased RAW copy of this Book and its simply AWESOME!

Have fun while losing weight, for you and your family![up]

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
That chart puts me 30 over and its on the money.I am fat.It is very hard when you run a restaurant.Im sure i could get up the tree alot smoother 30 lbs down.[tasty]Whats for lunch.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.