New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw 2 scrapes reopened and new rubs in my area yesterday. I had a decent buck come in(just out of shooting range)yesterday morning with 2 does but nothing really happened ith them.I had over 20 does come by me within an hour and there were no bucks chasing them or even with them,about the only activity I saw was a button buck trying to knock of a piece but the doe stood on her hind legs and gave him a 3 hoof combo,they were loud smacks too,it was definately cool to see[up] Then last night I had BBs come in until a balloon scared them away(Which I am going to make a post about later).Then right before dark I had a spike and a real big bodied buck with what I think was a broken off rack(got too dark to tell)come in from opposite directions and and come face to face but didn't react to each other,they just browsed around and ate,I used the can but they didn't even react to it. Another year of a weird rut.

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Where I hunt there was 3 times more activity last week then there is this week,the bucks were a hell of a lot more interested last week then they are this week,and I guy that i was talking to yesterday said that he saw 3 rack bucks walking together in the morning.

B

·
0 Posts
I haven't seen nothing as far as rutting yesterday. Brownstones and me had 2 different mature does near us, the one near had a single fawn, brownstones saw one with 2 fawns. He then saw 6 deer in one group all bald with no buck in tow

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
I didn't see a single deer yesterday. To me that means all of the bucks are locked down with does and mating.

David

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
As My buddy and i were walking to our stands we bumped a nice buck who was bedded down with a doe. She took off for about 30 yards with her tail up then stopped. he without even looking at us got up and ran right after her. He stopped just behind her and never looked at us. She took off again with the tail up and he just followed her right along without putting his tail up. He was oblivious to everything. There is still rutting activity going on.

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
500 members and this is all the people that have comments about the most exciting time of the year?...THE RUT

·
Registered
587 Posts
I am seeing some chasing, while some rubs are open, alot seem to be closed. Buddy shot a buck fri. night, the neck of it wasnt even swollen.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
As much as I hate to say it, I think the peak is passing. It is now going into the post rut. It definately was another weird rut year..

·
Registered
173 Posts
i was out Sat, took a youth 12years old, he got a big one,its in the post, this buck was on a doe i thought it was goin to kill it! seen another buck running a doe,i think the sent plus the grunting helped,, this was south nj Salem county,Fri & Sat was cold i think that helped.

·
Banned
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think all the gun hunting this week is going to help matters much.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Saw a big 6pt on Sat at 3.15pm in Harrington Park,NJ hot on a doe trail. He was bird dogging on the side of the road and then ran right across traffic. Quite a show for the family as we had pulled over to watch.

Think the rut is still around but was hard to figure out this year. Hope the bucks are still hot for early muzzleloader!!

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I agree with Mystic that the Peak of the Rut has not happened yet. The end of this week will see the activity increase dramatically if you go by the phases of the moon.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
I have not been bow hunting since the fall season ended but I still have my feeders going. While checking on the other day I noticed the scrapes that had been active at the edge of the field have not been touched in a while. I know the large 6 that was doing it is still there so maybe he's done.
I hope to run into him during 6 day firearm.

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Bucks are not done until every Doe they can find is mated. It is the does cycle and the moon phases along with the shorter days that trigger the Rut.....

I wont get into the whole details but the peak has not happened yet.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Im afraid to give my opinion on this matter as its bound to ruffle a few feathers.:eek:

So I'll just give my observations from this year.

Saw a good deal of chasing by bucks of all sizes during the second week of November (thats the usual time that I see peak chasing). I also saw a lot of big bucks "trolling" early last week.

Saw breeding activity while spotlighting last week as well. Havent seen any chasing or breeding since last week. (Night or Day)

Most of the activity I saw was at night. I never saw a defined peak of chasing, nor have I seen a defined peak of trolling/breeding this year. I did see small spurts a few days long, where I could tell they were in a certain phase of the rut, but no major frenzies like I have seen in some years past.

Thats what Ive seen so far...

Oh, I did see three button bucks hanging together in my yard yesterday. Normally they are with a large doe (their mother), so Im guessing she pushed them out to be bred. The family group has been living in my back yard since early spring. There used to be a group of five does, but when the matriarch gave birth this past year, she pushed the other does out, and took over the area for herself and three youngsters. Oh and I heard a buck chasing a doe up back a little over a week ago. They went at it from 10pm till when I woke up at 2am to get a drink. I could hear him chasing her and grunting, then theyd stop for a while and go at it again. When I got up in the morning, he was gone and a young doe was still here. Great to watch unpressured deer year round.[up][up]:)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I think it depends what area of the state you are hunting. I was Somerset on 11/12 and saw 8 different bucks that afternoon, every one of them trailing does. I had two shooters come within 20 yards, but all I could do is watch, as I do not have a doe. Every doe that was within range was running and I could not get them to stop. Anyway, I think last week was the peak of the rut in that area. just my .02.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts