New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From Wednesday, August 12, 2009 The Women's Outdoor Wire

http://www.womensoutdoorwire.com/blogs/outdoorscene/?p=136

Posted: August 11th, 2009 under Fishing, Hunting, Target Shooting.
Tags: Alpen Pink Binocular, Don't Think Pink, National Breast Cancer Foundation, Sport Fishing Magazine

In the last several months, I’ve talked to several women about the proliferation of pink outdoor gear being offered as a way to woo the female market. I’ve seen pink air rifles, hand guns, coolers, hats, shooting vests and gun cases. Chris Woodward, editor of Sport Fishing magazine, assures me it’s no different on the fishing side with pink rods, reels, tackle bags and more.

There’s a diversity of opinion on the subject. A friend of mine in the shooting industry says bring it on. She loves her pink and wears it loud and proud. She said in her experience, it’s the dominant color to reassure women on the gun range. On the opposite end of the spectrum is a woman who eschews the pastel hue saying, “I don’t want to be a female hunter, I just want to be a HUNTER. Bringing gender into it usually just comes off as pandering.”

While some women I talked to scoffed at the industry’s “pink it and shrink it” marketing mentality, most fell somewhere in the middle saying while pink isn’t for them, if it helps introduce women to the outdoors, that’s great.

One point women seem to agree on is their support for pink gear that raises funds for the National Breast Cancer Foundation. A product that immediately comes to mind is Alpen’s pink binocular.

“Pink is the color most associated with breast-cancer research,” says Vickie Gardner, vice president of Alpen Optics. “Our new line of Alpen Pink is more than just a pink binocular. With more than 40,000 Americans dying each year of breast cancer (400,000 worldwide), Alpen Optics has created its Pink binoculars to help focus on a cure, while delivering the best binocular for the best price in the marketplace.”

A portion of the profit for each binocular sold goes to the NBCF. However, just because a company’s product is pink does not mean it’s teaming with NBCF to find a cure. Vickie assures me the process for becoming an official NBCF partner takes a whole lot more than making and marketing a pink product.

I’m not the only person wondering if marketing strategies for women need to go beyond “think pink.” Interestingly enough, there’s a mainstream book called “Don’t Think Pink” by Lisa Johnson and Andrea Learned. This book chides manufacturers for only scratching the surface of understanding women and instead falling back on old stereotypes and hoping pink will work some marketing magic. The book, published in 2004, looks to offer terrific advice for understanding and marketing to women.

Well, the time has come to quit speculating on whether or not the industry should go beyond pink in its offerings to women. Chris Woodward and I decided last week we were going to take this discussion to the next level. We enlisted Southwick Associates to help us understand, in quantifiable terms, the effect pink has on women’s purchasing decisions. Southwick agreed to include a list of optional questions in their September surveys. After Sept. 1, please visit http://www.anglersurvey.com/ and http://www.huntersurvey.com/ to make your opinions known. If you need additional motivation, each month you complete the survey, you will be entered in the monthly drawing for one of five $100 gift certificates to the sporting goods retailer of your choice.

You can also read Chris Woodward’s thoughts about this topic at www.sportfishingmag.com.

On a different note, I want to present a resource that I think you’ll be ga ga over, a comprehensive review of women’s hunting clothes and boots. You can find this article, written by Managing Editor Hilary (Mizelle) Dyer of the Grand View Media Group, at:
http://www.whitetailjournal.com/Art...o-For-Women:-Your-Options-For-Serious-Hunting

Let’s talk about this subject some more. You can find me at facebook.com/tammy.sapp2 and Twitter @TammyDianeSapp.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I personally wouldn't purchase anything "Pink" in my hunting or fishing gear, but hey, that's me.

·
Registered
17,902 Posts
Anything that makes women feel a little less out of place in the shooting sports is great[up]

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Anything that makes women feel a little less out of place in the shooting sports is great
+1 I agree

Haley just passed her hunting test at age 10 and she wants a pink camo stock for her gun. Why not if thats what she wants. If that is what it takes to make a young women or any women for that matter like something then how can it hurt ?

I cut a few OA.com decals and she asked if I could make her a pink one for her wall. As always Daddy's little girl got one.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Isn't the object of camo, to blend in, not stand out? Yes, I know that the deer can't see in color. And I am personally all for anything that will help to get more young ladies into the woods and on the water, but pink just doesn't personally cut it for me.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts
Parker's has a pink camo bow now. It's more purple than pink if you ask me though. I've been trying to convince my wife to let me buy her one. But she says she would probably only use it once. SHe's not much of an outdoors woman.

·
Registered
15,556 Posts

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
pretty cool for the ladies that don't have grit
Aren't you the funny one :D

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
LMAO I see Ultramag did a double post again
[rofl]
my brother is getting the pink air riffle for his 2.5 yr ol grand daughter
heres the new Passion Postern n the women who are promoting it

$800 n something for the bow [smirk]

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Isn't the object of camo, to blend in, not stand out?
The same could be said with a gun that has a Stainless steel barrel , or a High gloss finish on the stock.

Thats why we have Chocolate and Vanilla icecream everone likes something different.

Like I said in my first post if that make a little girl happy and want to shoot then I am all for it.

And I know Ms. I have bright Orange finger nails on is not knocking non traditional camo lol [rofl]

·
Registered
747 Posts
To me, a girl does not need any pink clothing or equipment to remain feminine.

I love seeing the photos of girls, like Ms Grit, in hunting camo, etc. They're part of the "gang" because they can handle themselves in the outdoors like anyone else .... but, oh yea, you still know she's a girl. ;)

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
The only pink stuff I have is the bits and pieces of deer lung I have to wipe off my hands. I love my camo.

·
Registered
11,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And I know Ms. I have bright Orange finger nails on is not knocking non traditional camo
But . . . But . . . But it's part of my required 200 inches [rofl][rofl]

Oh, and I don't have fingernails ON, as they are NOT fake. They are MINE, REAL !!! I have bright orange nailpolish on MY FINGERNAILS !!! You see, that's the whole thing with me and my nails . . . THEY ARE REAL !!!

Seriously though, I am not knocking the pink thing, and as I stated before, I am honestly for any and all means that will bring more young girls and ladies into the woods and on the water but I do think it has gone a little too overboard. When I am in the woods, I try to do everything I can to blend in, from wearing a camo face mask, to gloves, to camo tape strips on some of the guns I use.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
The only pink stuff I have is the bits and pieces of deer lung I have to wipe off my hands. I love my camo
mental note! don't mess with MsGrit n lady bird [eek] [ninja]

we have a girl from my ol neighborhood she's the same way shoots a regular camo bow n wears MOBU camo clothes no pink n she's a driver during 6day for her dad n husband. she killed some nice bucks

1 - 20 of 33 Posts