New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going to make some snack sticks this week, does any one have any good tips for me.....im using LEM hot stick kit....do i soak the casing?.....and what is a good smoker tempture/ cooktime?....when they are all done should i cool them befor i seal them up...

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
I don't let my smoker go over 170 if the fat reaches 165-170 it will turn to grease and make the sticks dry and crumbly

150-155 degrees, till 145 degrees in center of stick. About 6-8 hrs

Yes make sure there cool and dry

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
if your using collogen casing, no soaking.
i tye the end off with braided fishing line.
i just bake them.
you will learn collogen doesn't expand. if you pack too much in, it will burst.

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
A fattie is the 1 pound chub of sausage (ie Jimmy Dean's) that has been stuffed and smoked for approx.2 1/2 3 hours at 225-250* turning once about halfway through the smoking time. Roll out like dough and stuff with chedder cheese,onions and green peppers.Great anytime esp leftover for breakfast

I also make ABT's Atomic Buffalo Turds which is a jalapeno pepper cut in half, cored and seeded , stuffed with ceam cheese and wrapped in bacon. Smoked at 250-275 till bacon crisps, about 2-3 hrs.

check pm's

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
pretty simple..like jerseyhunter said, do not go over 170-175, smoke until the inside reaches 152-155,turn off smoker, take out right away and shower them with the hose for 10 mins until they are cool(stops from cooking)..or place in ice water bucket, place them back in smoker(make sure it is off) to bloom for an hour or so(gives them that rich red color), then you are done! i like to peel off the collagen casings with a razor cause i think they look nicer and kinda a better texture..optional though..something i do and kinda takes a while..also, its hard to do but they taste much better the next day after they setip in the fridge for a night..so i wont even try one until the next day. good luck man...remember trial and error will pay off, everyone has their own way! have any questions drop a line, theres a few guys on here that are really into sausage making[up]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.