New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
wanted to post this for a friend. i don't think he's on this forum.
click the link for the photos. they wouldn't copy and paste on this forum.
http://blog.nj.com/southjerseylife/2009/04/snapper_trapper.html
Snapper Trapper
Posted by South Jersey News Online [email protected] April 15, 2009 10:37AM
When a chef from England needed turtle for soup he brought his film crew to one of the biggest snapper trapping areas in the world -- Gloucester County

Photo courtesy of Harry Ladner

Harry Ladner of Thorofare holds a snapping turtle.

By Kaelin O'Connell
[email protected]

When world famous chef Heston Blumenthal selected the menu for his cooking show about a Victorian feast, turtle soup was a must. The Victorian delicacy was served at Queen Victoria's jubilee feast, and ingredients cost more than a poor family would have made in two weeks.

But Blumenthal couldn't get snapper turtles in England where it is illegal to hunt turtles, so he took his crew to one of the biggest snapper trapping areas in the world: Gloucester County, New Jersey.

Staff photo by Tim Hawk

Ladner carries a trap he used to catch snapper turtles.

"It's big around this area. If you go to the Colonial Diner you can get snapper soup, and there's not many places you can get that," said Harry Ladner, the commercial snapper trapper featured on Blumenthal's English cooking show, "Heston's Feasts," last month.

Ladner, of Thorofare, has been trapping snappers as a hobby since he was 10, spanning the Delaware from the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge to the Mantua River. His lone injury came when a turtle took the tip of his thumb before finally releasing its firm grip -- "but it's much better now," he said, looking down at his fingertip.

Ladner started trapping commercially five years ago. When one of his buyers left him stuck with too much turtle last season, he posted an ad on Craigslist to sell the extra snapper. At the same time on the other side of the Atlantic, Blumenthal's producers were looking for a trapper to star in an episode of "Heston's Feasts" in which the famous cook would recreate a fine Victorian dinner for his audience. They saw Ladner's ad, then sent Blumenthal and his crew to snapper-rich New Jersey.

The episode, which aired in Britain in March but never in America, shows Blumenthal and Ladner cruising down Woodbury Creek in Ladner's boat, then heading back to Ladner's home to cook the turtle. But the meat did not taste the way Heston expected, and he ultimately decided to serve "Mock Turtle Soup" instead, which is made with a calf's head.

For anyone who wants to make the real deal at home (Ladner provided his own turtle soup recipe), Ladner recommended using boneless snapper turtle meat. You can't buy it in grocery stores, but you can get it at specialty fish markets.

"My biggest thing with snapper soup is you don't want to overcook the meat," he said. "When I cook soup I don't put my meat in until an hour before it is done."

Snapper Soup
1 pound turtle meat or lean stewing beef
1⁄4 cup butter
1⁄3 cup celery, diced
1⁄3 onions, diced
1⁄3 carrots, diced
1⁄3 cup flour
1 sp. paprika
1 quart beef stock
1⁄2 cup tomato puree
1 clove garlic, crushed
1⁄2 tsp. all spice
1⁄2 tsp. pepper
1⁄4 tsp. salt
1⁄4 tsp. pepper
3 Tbsp. cornstarch
1⁄2 cup water
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. parsley, chopped
1⁄3 cup cream sherry
1⁄4 tsp. whole mixed pickling spice

Place turtle or beef in stock pot with 11⁄2 quarts water. Bring to a boil. Skim during cooking. Simmer for 2 hours or until meat is tender.

Strain meat from stock. Dice meat into 1⁄4-inch pieces. Set both aside.

Cook vegetables in butter until onions are translucent. Add beef stock.

In a small bowl, mix 1⁄4 cup water into paprika and flour until smooth. Add tomato puree and spices. Stir into beef stock until well blended. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 2 to 21⁄2 hours.

Strain soup. Place vegetables into food processor or blender and puree.

Mix cornstarch with remaining water and blend until smooth. Add to soup and cook 15 minutes, stirring, until stock is thickened.

Add meat and vegetable puree. Remove from direct heat. Add sherry right before

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
They are like dinosaurs. A big snapper could be 50 or 60 years old. Very cool reptiles. Lame to kill them for a bowl of soup. [down][down][down]

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
now we are picking what animals can and can't be made into soup.[wallmad]

tell me, what is the difference between making soup from deer or turtles? as long as the harvest is controlled and doesn't lead to the reduction in population, beyond quick rebound.

it's legal. don't like it, don't order it.
but don't say he's in the wrong for doing a 100% legal activity within our state.

·
Registered
598 Posts
My little girl loves it on the grill. Largest we ever caught was 45 lbs. Boy do they stink when you are cleaning them out!! My uncle loves them he is the one who cooks it for Chey we just catch them!!

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have them in the stream out back. just never messed with them. i like the meat, just never cleaned one out yet. newt offered to teach me, but he'd have me clean two tons in a day. that man moves some turtle.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I'll be back after'em this year[up]

I like frog legs also..who's got a problem with that they're kinda cute[down][ko]

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Lame to kill them for a bowl of soup
[confused][wallmad][wallmad] I would love to try snapper soup I heard its great I have caught some big ones in my local pond but have no idea how to prep one to eat.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I love fried snapper![tasty]

They are also good grilled, but Ive never had snapping turtle soup.I got to try it.

·
Registered
5,592 Posts
Good article. I can't wait till 6/15 when the season opens back up!! I'll be going out to get our fill for our annual family soup dinner!! [tasty][tasty] [up][up]

They are like dinosaurs. A big snapper could be 50 or 60 years old. Very cool reptiles. Lame to kill them for a bowl of soup.
You don't like dinosaur soup?? [hihi]

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
GEETs diner sells it by the cup or bowl. i heard years ago they were paying good money per pound for wild caught ones.

if they still are i don't know. never tried snapper soup,snapper(not the turtle).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts