New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok ordered my king kong treestand. Now my question is, do I buy a climbing stick, or those screw in steps. The area Im putting the stand is private land in my familys ownership that Ive already had my trail camera stolen from. Only difference is now there are posted signs everywhere, we put up. I could always unscrew and screw in the steps but eventually thats going to kill the tree. Do they make strap on steps?

Dennis

·
3,413 Posts
I got steps that you screw in and then can remove the step part while the lag stays in the tree.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
I have a few strap =on steps, they work ok but I only used them the first 8 feet till I can climb the tree itself. I usually use the to hold my pack, bow or gun. I always carry atleast one in my pack, 2 if I'm hunting a new tree.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Cabela's and B [no swearing please] Pro have them. I've also gotten them at Harry's in Bordentown( in season ). I use them for my 1st 4 steps at each tree stand. Then regular screw in steps above that. That way I only have to carry in 4 removeable steps each time. But it still discourages stand snatchers.At least the amateur stand snatchers [mad]

·
3,413 Posts
Bacs where did you get those steps that the lag stays in the tree?
Climb Detachable Tree Step

$8.25 Each
$404.50 - Box of 50 -- BULK DISCOUNT!!!

The EZY® Climb Detachable Tree Step enables you to lighten your load and deter equipment theft. One set of steps and extra screws enables climbing numerous trees. No installation device needed. The EZY® self-tapping screw is extended to 2 ½” for extra security. Remove steps from screws as you descend to protect your equipment from theft. Subsequent climbs are even faster, simply reattach steps to existing screws in seconds. Sturdy steel and solid stainless steel rivets complete the construction. The step is sold with one screw, extras are sold separately. This step is also available in a folding version, the EZY® Climb Folding Detachable Tree Step, for more compact transportation.

Construction -- Heavy 11 Gauge Steel

Hot-forged/Solid Stainless Steel Riveted

Upright Height -- 5 inches

Step Area Length -- 4 inches

Screw Length -- 2 1/2 inches

Weight -- 9.1 ounces (with screw)

http://www.ezyclimb.com/treesteps.shtml

They are about 3/4 of the way down the page & I don't believe that Cabelas or B [no swearing please] Pro sells them, at least not online anyway.

I like 'em.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Drome,
Screw in steps WILL NOT HARM THE TREE. When you remove them after the season, the hole "fills" back in. I have used the same tree for decades, (that's right decades). Remove the steps after the Winter bow season, and it'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How about if I remove them after every hunting session so people cant take them.

Wont that eventually hurt the tree or also eventually cause the lag screws to fail in the same location?

·
Registered
534 Posts
No, It won't hurt the tree. As a matter of fact, that's what I do. I leave the top 6 steps in, and take the bottom 5 or 6 out, and replace them each time I hunt. The only problem that I know of was a few years ago, a buddie of mine went into his spot, and started putting his steps in. He got about 6 ft off the ground, and one of the steps "pulled" out. Turns out some "claim jumper" used bigger steps to climb into the stand, and as a result, "widened" the holes.
As long as no one does that to you' you'll be fine.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Just out of curiousity, what would you do if you were hunting state land and wanted to put a hang-on stand up? I believe you are not allowed to use screw in steps. Correct? So what should you do?

David

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
ladder, or strap-on steps.

The steps bacs was talking about where the lag stays in, I picked them up years ago at Ramsey's outdoors.

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
I'm switching to sticks and hang on after using a climber. limbs!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts