New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off I just want to welcome myself; new on this site.
I live in Burlington County and just applied for my FID and permit to purchase a handgun through the Red Lion State Police. Ive been an NJ resident for 14 years and I have no criminal history in my past whatsoever. I have however, seen a psychiatrist in high school because I had such difficulty staying attentive. I was tested for both ADD and ADHD but it turns out I did not have it. I now have a doctor who prescribes be adderall.
I am a student at Rutgers in Camden - I only take the medicine for school related purposes (as my doctor could vouch for me).

I've hesitated going through the painful process of applying in fear that my mental health background would be a huge issue, but I decided to give it a shot. I just submitted my paperwork and fingerprints yesterday (5/16) so Im hoping to hear back sometime after summer. My dad (who I live with) has been through this process 3 times in the last 2 years and has been approved for 3 handgun permits. Meaning we have 3 handguns in our house; is this good news for me or does it not matter at all?

I did not talk to my doctor before applying so all Im going to do is keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best. I'm sure a ton of people have been denied for their permits in similar situations so any stories/insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
12,710 Posts
If you disclosed on your app that you were taking medication you will be denied. If you did mot disclose it then you lied and if it ever comes up you will get a cell with Bubba.

I feel for you bro. If I had to go to Camden every day I would want a gun too. IMO though you should be off the meds before you are allowed a firearm. In the back of your mind I think you feel the same.

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
Is there a question that asks what medications you were on?

also, if there is, just say no or n/a. How are they gonna prove it? it's doctor patient confidentiality, after all.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Is there a question that asks what medications you were on?

also, if there is, just say no or n/a. How are they gonna prove it? it's doctor patient confidentiality, after all.
Unless you live in the peoples republic of NJ. Remember it's not patient/doctor is more like pharmacy--insurance- electronic tracking that is the issue..

·
Registered
212 Posts
It is my understanding that the mental health background check is not as involved as you may think. What they are looking for is to see if you have ever been committed, not if you have sought therapy. Seeing a psychiatrist is not reason enough to deny you a permit and the medication shouldn't be either. However, sometimes hey are looking for a reason and stressing how "irate" you will be if denied does not indicate the sense of responsibility and reason that they are looking for. I suggest that you don't mention that part during the interview. I don't expect that you will have a problem, but after all this is New Jersey.

·
Registered
716 Posts

·
Registered
8,185 Posts
There will be nothing the State Police can find about your visits to a shrink unless you voluntarily or involuntarily were committed to a mental health facility. That's really all they can check for.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thank you. and thanks to everyone for the quick responses.
For the record, there is NO question on the app that asks anything about medication.
The question I answered "Yes" to was- Have you ever ever been attended, treated, or observed by any doctor or psychiatrist or at any hospital or mental institution on an inpatient/outpatient basis, if so list and provside addresses. I answered truthfully and put the name and location of both my doctor and psych who I saw years ago. Will this help me?

When i turned in my application, I asked one of the officers if there was someone in particular I can make a meeting to talk with, to disclose my medical history and what not... He wasn't all to helpful. I left the station with out any names or places I could talk to someone. I answereed every question truthfully and Ill state again, I have NO criminal background. No DUIs, drug arrests, disorderly persons, nothing.. My record is completely clean.

Any good news would be great. Im stressing about this app

·
Registered
942 Posts
It is up to the police chiefs discretion and no one else. If you get denied over adderall that is ridiculous. If you were bi-polar or schizo thats a diff story.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts