New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I went today and applied for my 2 handgun permits. I'm curious to see how long it'll take the bozos in my town to get me them back. I will be letting them know after a month goes by that I am aware what the rules/regs are for getting these back to me.

I'll let you know what happens.

David

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well NJH'rs, here's an update.

I had recently spoken to one of my friends who I used as one of my 2 references and he hadn't received the paperwork yet. So I called up my township today and asked them if there is any reason why this hasn't happened. What I heard was GREAT news. Since I had the background check performed not that long ago, when I did my FID transfer, they will not be doing it again.

So, the paperwork just needs to be filled out. The police records representative said that she's a little backlogged, but it should be done fairly quickly. My guess is it'll still take another 2 weeks or so, but that's alot better than what they usually take.

I'll keep you all updated when I hear anything more.

David

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
I got two of them in my township a couple of years ago. From what I remember it took less than two months altogether. Do you have any idea of what your going to buy with them? I got a stainless S&W 357 with I think a 6 inch barrel and a 40 cal.Beretta semiautomatic. I love them both

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
So, the paperwork just needs to be filled out. The police records representative said that she's a little backlogged, but it should be done fairly quickly. My guess is it'll still take another 2 weeks or so, but that's alot better than what they usually take.

I'll keep you all updated when I hear anything more.

David
see David it all worked out,Congrats...

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since I put in for 2 of them, I'm thinking of getting a .22 and a .40. I figure the .22 would be perfect for plinking around, plus I want her to learn to shoot. She's pretty small plus a little on the nervous side so, the .22 would be the appropriate gun to start her with. The .40 would be my deterrent weapon of choice. That plus 2 of my friends have .40s so it would make buying ammo alot cheaper since you can buy it in bulk.

David

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
David - are they going to notify you when or did they just want you to check back in a few?

Go to Shore Shot pistol range in Lakewood.(shoreshotpistolrange.com) - it is public. They are well versed in all things handgun and have a decent selection of models and calibers available for rent.

I try to go 3 times a month - next time I go I'll call you if you want to check out different handguns.

I have an H&K USP .40 and a S&W .44 special - I'm looking to get a new auto - possible a glock compact in .40 and a full size 1911 (either Springfield or S&W).

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
I have an H&K USP .40
I had an H&K USP 9mm. MAn that was a great gun I owned it in NC where I could carry it. I moved to NJ and decided to sell it. Well now I am in the market for another I should have just kept the one I had.[down]

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
Most of your 'plinking' will be done at a range or an enviroment where carrying a handgun won't be 'offensive'.

All I say is don't narrow your choices.

.40 s&w is a great round.

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
The USP's aren't cheap, but they can take a beating.

Mine cost around $750.

I shot a Sig-Sauer in 9mm last week. They are also well made.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They said they will notify me, but I will check back in a week or 2.

I was planning on going to Charlie Brenners which is real close, plus they sell used guns in good condition. But, I'd be open to looking at some other places.

Sure, let me know.

It's funny you mention the H&K .40. My buddy has one and it's the 1st handgun I've ever shot. I'm not too thrilled with the sights on it. But I know that they can be changed. Glocks... I can't stand them. There's 2 main things I don't like about them. 1st, I don't like their non-safety safety; the one with the safety in the trigger. I don't consider that to be a real safety. 2nd, the ones that I've picked up, I didn't like the grips on it. My favorite gun that I've picked up was the Beretta 9mm, so I'm going to see if they have a .40 with the same grips and such.

David

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Most of your 'plinking' will be done at a range or an enviroment where carrying a handgun won't be 'offensive'.
I don't care about the offensive part of it. To me, plinking is just shooting cheaply. And you can't beat the price of .22 ammo. You can buy a brick (500 rounds) for like $16.

Like I said, I'm buying 2 guns. I need the .22 for no other reason than to get my G/F to learn how to handle a gun. Teaching her on the .40 would be a disaster.

David

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't get me wrong, some people like myself have no issues learning with a bigger gun, because I'm not gun shy to begin with. But she definitely is, so I'm going to take it slow and steady with her. She'll always be a part of my life so I've got plenty of time to graduate her to a bigger one.

David

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
The USP sights are basic. Its a good gun that'll will last a lifetime.... and then some.

The Beretta's are shooter friendly out of the box but I've had more than my share of problems.

I average b/w 800- 1200 rounds per month. The old Beretta 9 couldn't take the abuse. Lots of reworkings till I sold it.

Glock, H&K, S&W M&P and other polymer tactical guns are designed to take punishment and have the ability to fire when needed. Dependability.

The fancier 1911 framed guns are readily adaptible to modifications for competition, if you want to get into it.

Wheel Guns are inherently more accurate based on the design - but you've got to practice.

Guns are alot like guitars. Each one has its own peculiarities - try as many as you can before you settle.

·
Registered
6,055 Posts
Teaching her on the .40 would be a disaster.
Nope. My fiancee is 4'11". Once she learned how to shoot - the recoil from the .40 was not an issue.
She can comfortibly shoot a .45 acp now.

Take her with you to a public range before you buy.
You can always rent a .22 - but your hand will be reaching for the .40's and higher!

A brick of 500 rounds of .22 seems like a good bargain - you won't be shooting a .22 that much when you own a .40 .

.22 ammo is usually garbage - when you feed your gun garbage you get garbage performance and a lot of cleaning.

·
Premium Member
8,616 Posts
My wife is 5'1", weighs 103 and shoots the .40 cal and 357 with no problems.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Once she learned how to shoot - the recoil from the .40 was not an issue
You nailed my point perfectly. ONCE she learned. My G/F has never fired a gun ever in her life. The .22 is the gun to start with. Once she's interested and likes going to the range, then I'll have her shoot the .40.

It's like teaching a child to fire a 12 gauge without ever him/her shooting any long gun before. You should have the child shoot a .22 rifle to get the hang of shooting a long gun. Once the child is comfortable and expresses interest, then you can move on.

And as far as the .22s are concerned, I have a .22 rifle that I use to play with at the range also. I won't have to buy any additional ammo. I love shooting no matter what size it is.

David

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.