New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally convinced the G/F that a handgun in the house would be a good idea for self defense. I have never owned a handgun nor has the g/f and we are both looking for something that easy to handle with easy maintenance any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
Finally convinced the G/F that a handgun in the house would be a good idea for self defense.  I have never owned a handgun nor has the g/f and we are both looking for something that easy to handle with easy maintenance any advice is appreciated. 
Fireman60 has a Ruger 5 shot .38 (SP101) that is perfect for what you describe. http://www.newjerseyhunter.com/article62475.htm
For your first gun you should stick to a simple revolver. My ex keeps a Ruger GP100 in .357 at the ready, and ain't afraid to use it. That bitch is crazy!!

·
Registered
14,787 Posts
Just in case you are interested I am selling a nice 9mm Chief Special semi.

Shoot Straight!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
A 9mm may be a good gun for you and your G/F
Ammo prices aren't too crazy and she'd have no prob shooting it.
I have a ruger sr9 and I love the thing.

·
Registered
4,579 Posts
i had no idea what to get when i got my first handgun. The consensus of many was to try revolver for first time. Simple use, easy maintenance.

I went with S&W 357, model 686. Love the gun. can also shoot the 38 spl through it if the 357 rounds are too much for GF to handle.

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
My ex keeps a Ruger GP100 in .357 at the ready, and ain't afraid to use it. That bitch is crazy!!
She may be nuts but she's got good taste! I have one and love it. It can also make you feel all "warm and toasty" walking into a stand with bears around you.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Revolver for home defense if your set on a handgun. My first choice is a single shot shotgun. Especially for a woman alone. Keep it between the boxspring and mattress, broke open, all she has to do is plop a round in it close, and she is ready. Have to be a true maniac to confront a woman pointing a shotgun at ya. If the perp is that nutz, you need the knock down power.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I agree with the revolver, such as my Ruger GP100 ....

BTW .... guns were meant to be blue, not stainless [spy];)

·
Registered
5,054 Posts
My preference would be the S&W M19, M66, M586 or M686 in .38/.357. The M586 & M686 L-frames would be the more rugged over the older, smaller K-frames (M19/M66). Simple, with gun mechanics that are easy to learn, and they are accurate and reliable. If you like a .38 Spcl. only and don't need .357 Mag. power, my choice would be a Colt Detective Special if you can find one.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I'll go along with Setters on the Smiths, but add the newer M60 J-frame with a 3" barrel to his list. A stainless steel firearm will be easier for you to clean and much more forgiving for a first timer.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
If you're looking for a revolver, get a Ruger GP100 with a 4" barrel. The 357 is a great self/home defense round and the capability to shoot 38s on the range is great. The back strap is thick enough that the kick of a 357 isnt too bad, even for a shooter with small hands or that doesnt shoot a lot. And the 4" barrel cuts down on weight so it's easy for a shooter with weaker forearms to shoot for a while on the range.

If you're interested in a semi-auto, get a glock in 9mm... some will argue for the 40 cal but trust me, 9mm is the way to go for several reasons... and some will argue for other guns too but the glock is the best engineered and ergonomical design for an in inexperienced shooter.

Whatever you decide to get, make sure you practice with whatever ammo you're going to use for home defense. Some guns will not cycle hollowpoints properly and you would hate to find that out the hard way. 200 rounds minimum to make sure your gun/ammo combination is reliable.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
17 Posts
Find a pistol course near you, before you buy a gun and go to it. You will have the opportunity to try different guns and calibers at most courses. You will also learn to be safe! It’s not just about caliber. What size gun can you and your G/F handle? What size fits your hand? Let someone that knows a little about guns help you out in person.
Chet

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
If you're looking for a revolver, get a Ruger GP100 with a 4" barrel. The 357 is a great self/home defense round and the capability to shoot 38s on the range is great. The back strap is thick enough that the kick of a 357 isnt too bad, even for a shooter with small hands or that doesnt shoot a lot. And the 4" barrel cuts down on weight so it's easy for a shooter with weaker forearms to shoot for a while on the range.
Also my suggestion on the revolver is the Ruger. I have one in stainless and it's a great self defense/target/hunting pistol.

If you want two go with a semi look at the Sig P226. Great reliable pistol but you need to see how it will feel in your and especially her hand. I would also go with the 9mm. Less recoil than the 40S&W and with a 124 gr HP it's all you need. Cheaper to shoot than the 40 also.

Good Luck with your choice.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts