New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Hamburg Police Chief Eugene Kresge and the state Department of Environmental Protection are at odds over a bear the state considers a mere nuisance and the chief worries could become a danger.

The bear in question weighs between 300 and 400 pounds, has an injured rear leg and has been romping around the borough since July 13, Kresge said."

http://www.njherald.com/313283663402930.php

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
Many police departments are simply afraid of the anti's protesting their actions. They have been trained, they should take care of the situation instead of crying to the papers. They should be ashamed.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Some police departments need to issue spines to their officers and Chiefs.
I dont think thats fair to say. Police officers are in the public eye, and scrutinized for everything they do. The position carries many political pressures. Having to make decisions that are for the best, but also keeping your bosses happy, and their bosses happy, so you can keep your job.

I dont see how officers are at fault here. Perhaps the Chief, but even then, it probably goes much further than him and his decision making.

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
They are at fault. They were trained and told EXACTLY what to do. To bitch at F&W because they are AFRAID to do their jobs is pathetic and spineless.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Bloodtrails, I dont think you understand the pressures of being a cop. Its not your avg. job...where if you dont do what you are told you get warned or fired, and find a new job. Get fired in LE, and you are pretty much blackballed.

I know a lot of cops, not to mention my brother is becoming a cop, and Im becoming a cop. From everyone Ive ever talked to, they dont get to make all the decisions. Like I said, it may not even be the Police Chiefs choice to tell the officers not to condition the bears. That could have come down from the Mayor. The Mayor has say over the chief, and the chief over the officers. Im sure you know how that works.

Everyone wants to keep their jobs. Police Officers can use their own discretion, but there are unwritten rules set in each down that they must follow. Some towns want you to give breaks to their residents, some towns want you to strictly enforce certain laws, and not others, some towns tell you how to handle certain situations. It honestly wouldnt surprise me to find out the Mayor doesnt want the bears conditioned for political reasons, and passed that down through the chain of command.

Im not saying you are wrong, those bears need to be conditioned, but I think you are placing the blame in the wrong spot.

Have a good one---Matt:)

·
Registered
14,824 Posts
In this case it's definately the Chief of Police's fault. He has been told how to handle the situation and refuses to and wants someone else to take care of the problem because he doesn't want to deal with the antis. Then, he calls the media when NJ F&W tells him to take care of it themselves. Man up, Chief.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts