New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone ever go here? I have a turkey permit for Zone 1 and went to check out the Hainsville WMA.

this is my first time turkey hunting.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
let me ask you another question Andy. While there did you see a lot of "remains" of deer? I was there 2 weeks ago and saw quite a few remains and something what looked like a wolf.

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Shot some woodcock there this past season and a couple hen pheasants. Seen tracks in the road and one longbeard that made the tracks in the fall. Thick bush best know where your openings are in there when you hear one cause he aint bustin thorn to get to you.:p

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
a few weeks ago was the first time I was there. Waiting to see how the weekend plays out going to try to get over there again either Saturday and/or Sunday.

I pulled in right by the sign at the entrance and parked. I walked along to an open area then into the woods. Then cut over through the pine trees and ended up on the other end of the lake and then worked my way back.

It looked like across the road is also part of the WMA?

I am new to hunting, never hunted before, this is my first time out.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
ended up on the other end of the lake and then worked my way back.
Sounds like you're east of Old Mine Rd., when you refer to the lake/pond near the ballfield maybe? I usually hunt on the west side of Old Mine Rd.(the road changes names at some point there), between the road and the Del. River. The only remains after 6-day shotgun and permit season I've seen were still walking and breathing. I'll probably head out there next week for some turkey hunting myself, work permitting.

Hard to clarify for you without knowing what road and where along it, don't want to misinform you. Try to get some maps from the F&G website to help you.

I am new to hunting, never hunted before, this is my first time out.
Then keep the questions coming.;)

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Yes it is, a small portion. That is where I was bunny hunting.

Shot some woodcock there this past season and a couple hen pheasants
NIce job cat. Those birds must have flown over from Flatbrook or the Water Gap.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hard to clarify for you without knowing what road and where along it, don't want to misinform you. Try to get some maps from the F&G website to help you.
from Rt. 650 made a left onto Rt 675. Drove about 2 miles and the made a left into the WMA.

I am looking at the map now trying to figure out whereabouts your talking about Andy.

thanks for the help!

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
James, I was actually refering to the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area not the Hainesville WMA, my mistake. If you take 546 west(Jager Rd.) until it ends, you can turn either left or right. I usually turn right, park and hunt between the west side of Old Mine Rd. and the Delaware R. That's Zone 1 turkey too. BTW, a great piece of gear to have is a handheld GPS with a topo map loaded, I take one when I'm hunting unfamiliar land. Saved me lots of unnecessary walking.[eyeroll]

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks Andy! I am going to be up in Sussex this weekend, I live in Bergen County, we have a trailer up in Sussex. I am planning to take a ride over.

thanks again!

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
JamesA, I have been hunting that area for years for deer. As far as your question about the remains, they are all over the place. We have called the state many times to report it. There have been times we have found 3 or 4 deer dead together with antlers cut off. As I said, we have reported it many times, and spoke to a ranger up there about it, but no one seems to know whos doing it. As far as the hunting goes, it's decent for deer. I don't turkey hunt, but have seen a few birds during deer season. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
hainesville pond , if you pull in there there are tons of deer carcasses all over. I don't know if they were neccessarily poached but still not cool. You see that in a bunch of different spot around the county, pull into a parking area and have a pile of dead rotting deer. I dont get it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hainesville pond , if you pull in there there are tons of deer carcasses all over. I don't know if they were neccessarily poached but still not cool. You see that in a bunch of different spot around the county, pull into a parking area and have a pile of dead rotting deer. I dont get it.
That's exactly where I was..I dont get it either. I saw an article about deer being dumped in Montague and the writer suggested perhaps it was roadkill being dumped there or poachers. I am just glad I didn't bring my 4 yer old son with me.

·
Registered
3,718 Posts
Andy, I have seen lots on Old Mine Rd. If you take Jagger (sp?) Rd to the end, it runs you into Old Mine Rd, take either a left or right and anywhere along that road you will see them. Theres lots of parking areas down there, and it seems like theres dumped deer near every parking area. Also as stated above, theres always some by the pond.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Perhaps the dead deer are dumped by the state or local authorities? When I was younger, a camp I went to in NH had a dump site down the road. They called it the bear pit because of all the bears that would show up to eat all the roadkill.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Checked out this WMA today and saw the remains spread out all over too. WTF is that all about. Must have seen a half dozen rib cages with out walking that far.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts