New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hahahahaha...Im at it again...:D...let me know what you think...Im thinking with signatures from enough sportmen/women, and regular folks, we could pressure the DEP into something like this.--Matt

Due to the ever increasing bear population, and rising number of human/bear conflicts. I feel it is necessary to include a bear hunt in the game codes.

The following is my proposal on how to manage our growing bear population.

A lottery system designed to raise money for habitat restoration, and other causes, would be a wonderful way to limit the amount of tags, and prevent overharvest. Hunters wishing to partake in the NJ bear management season, would have to first enter into the tag lottery/drawing. Entry fees could be minimal, such as $10.00. Hunters would only be allowed to enter their name once in the drawing. Hunters who are successful in drawing a tag, would then be required to purchase a bear hunting permit/tag. The cost of this tag should also be minimal, such as $10.00. Persons trying to enter the lottery multiple times would be subject to fines, and forfeiture of the chance to participate in upcoming bear season lotteries. Hunters who are successful in drawing a tag, shall be required to complete the bear seminar, if they havent already done so.

The hunt should take place in Spring, possibly running concurrent with the turkey season, or immediately before. Hunting should be limited to baiting, and/or stand hunting only. This provides hunters with the best chance of sizing up bears prior to harvesting them. Allowing large males, and females without cubs to make up the large majority of the harvest. If the spring season is allowed to run the last three weeks of March, and the first week of April, the harvest should consist of mainly large bruins. Females with cubs normally remain denned up until slightly later than males, thereby further reducing the chance of harvesting females, and orphaning young cubs. Following the commencement of the spring black bear management season, the director of the division of Fish and Wildlife may close the season to prevent overharvest. Such closures shall become effective 24 hours from the daily legal closing time of he day on which the decision is made.

Weapons legal for the taking of black bear during the spring management season;

Shotgun: Not smaller than 20ga, nor larger than 10ga with rifled slugs. Buckshot is prohibited.

Muzzleloader: Single barrel, single shot rifles not less than .45 caliber. Flintlock, percussions and in line ignitions.

Bow and Arrow: Minimum draw weight of 45 pounds at the archers draw length, except compounds which must have a minimum peak draw weight of 45 pounds. Arrows must be fitted with a well sharpened metal head with a minimum width of 3/4 inches. (cut on contact, fixed or replaceable heads are recommended)

Hunting Hours;

Legal hunting hours for black bears shall be 1/2 hour before sunrise to 1/2 hour after sunset.

Bag Limit;
Only one bear of either sex and any age may be taken per properly licensed hunter. It is unlawful to take or attempt to take more than one bear. It is also unlawful to take females with cubs. While there is no size limit, hunters are encouraged to take large, lone bears.

B

·
0 Posts
very professionaly done matty, I like your ideas for the most part. But this is NJ, and we will never have a spring season, and they will never allow us to use archery equipment for bears. This state is run by anti-hunters, or people who just don't care about hunting or wildlife. We got lucky to even have a hunt back in 2003, which was succesful for the hunters, and the NJFG&W.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know. But I like to imagine that we can have one...plus too if I print this out and staple it into the new digest, I can act like I thought it was a real season.:D

Son why are you dragging a 500 pound black bear out of the woods?

Well sir, right here in the digest, it says we can kill em.....:D

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Im no bear biologist by any means...

If we ran it earlier in the spring, would that help?

Im sure we would have to omit the bow..but I wish we could keep it.

I know this is just another one of my pipe dreams, but man oh man, if I could have my say.:)

If you think its best, I guess we should keep it in the fall. But Im gonna look up bear facts some more, and other states that are successful.

I do think the lottery would help...not only for habitat, but it makes us look better, more concerned...hell they can even have a small percentage for bear contraception research...I just hope they cant figure out how to do it.:p

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its in the directory, look it up.[mad]

HAHAHA....just kidding....:p....well I mean it is in the directory but...you know what I mean!:D

[email protected]

Id love to see the pics bud....I know alot about deer, but I dont claim to know much about bears. No sound facts really, mostly what people tell me, and what I learned at the seminars.[sad]

If you know of any good sites to learn about bears let me know too....Ive always been interested, but never read up on them.

Looking forward to the email. Have a good one---Matt:)

·
3,413 Posts
A lottery system designed to raise money for habitat restoration, and other causes
I think a lottery would be great, but the money would have to go into the Hunters & Anglers Fund. The money would be for a Bear hunting permit, and therefore fall into this catagory. Any other action could be seen as a deversion of funds by the Federal Gov't and jepordize Pittman & Robertson Funds for the State.

hell they can even have a small percentage for bear contraception research
No they can't! Not with Hunter & Anglers Funds. Any funding like that would go to the HSUS, and I'm not funding them, they have enough money as it is.

We need to wait and see what the F&G Council & the DEP come up with as the new Supreme Court mandated Black Bear Management Plan (BBMP).

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
I am wonderin if NJ holds anual or monthly meetings, where the public and go and listen and speak about ongoing and upcoming proposals and ones in use now? In Pa we are aloud to go to these meetings and when there is something controversial, it usually works in the favor of hunters, cause of such a large turn out. If you could do that here, and get enough hunters together to go along with signatures for a petition it might have an effect on the situation, but then again after talking to most of you on here it might not, but it is worth it to go to these meetings, even if they shot the proposal down, they can see that the hunters are pasionate about the sport and want to do something about the ongoing problems here in NJ!!!

·
3,413 Posts
I am wonderin if NJ holds anual or monthly meetings, where the public and go and listen and speak about ongoing and upcoming proposals and ones in use now?
The Fish & Game Council meets once a month and the time and place is listed on the Division of F&W web site, the public is welcome to attend these meetings.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
First off thanks for the positive responses.

Bacs.....that works!

Im looking at the Elk hunting lottery in PA, and what they have done for those animals, its simply awesome.

I think if we have any bear season, we should incorporate a lottery, or pay for the tags or something. We shouldnt make the state or the division footing the entire bill.

So if the money raised goes to the Hunters and Anglers fund, it could be used to restore habitat, and purchase lands for WMA's right? I really didnt want the money to go to bear contraception research, but I thought it would help to reinstate the season. Your right though, I wasnt aware that money went to HSUS. Forget that!

I was told it would be best to bump the price of the permit to $30, but leave the enterance fee the same.

Heres the numbers I figured out; If 10,000 people enter the lottery at $10 an entry. We would be raising $100,000. Now say they allot 8,000 permits at $30 per person.

Thats $240,000 more, for a grand total of $340,000 dollars raised in one year of bear management. Im sure there are some small related costs that would take from that total, but thats still better than the state paying for the bear hunt. Makes it more likely to happen is what I mean.

I agree though, I will wait to see what they come up with. Even if they keep the season the same, they should add the lottery, or pay for tags. It only helps us in the end.

Have a good one---Matt:)

Rich, I did get the pics, I havent emailed back yet....but they are AWESOME! Very cool pics! You should post them on here.[up]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts