New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
only tip i can give. dont cut the belly, i did that on my first deer ever and almost puked all over the woods, will never happen to me again

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I agree all the way to page 3 after that way off. If you do it this way you are sure to waste around five pounds of the hams as it is expose to the air. Cut belly as described, cut around anus and pull through the belly cavity. Don't worry about any scat getting in the cavity. This way none of the ham meat is exposed. I hate to see a deer dress with a cut from anus to mid brisket. It's just not needed. Leaving this pocket also makes it handy when placing gallon jugs of ice in it during curing too.

Ryan

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Mystic,

That looks like a cool book. Would you mind sharing the title and author, please?

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Most of the time when I watch guys dress a deer out, it kinda reminds me of a MONKEY ****ing a football. I tell them that if it takes you more than 5 minutes your taking time out to play with yourself.
I've done them in 3 1/2 minutes from start to finish.
(4 1/2 min. with a flashlight in my mouth in someone back yard ) ;)
I can't fathom " tying the anus off "
When your on a deer drive and want to keep the drive going, you gut'em and drag'em. No time to mess around.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
I'm sure a lot of member know Mr. Fred Space, President of Space Farm Zoo and Museum. I was with him the other day and he handed me this small publication that he created himself. I found it very informative.
Is called AFTER THE KILL A Guide To Good Venison.
It walks you through all the steps on how to gut, skin and prepare the meat for the table. I found it very usefull, specially for those that need help on the process.
At the end of the booklet is a little story titled
The Evoluton of a Hunter. Great reading from a man that has spend the better part of 67 years hunting all over the world. Some of his stories should be documented and made into a book. He is unreal on the achievements he has made throught out his life.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
Field Dressing and Butchering BIG GAME By: Monte Burch
Thanks, Mystic! Time to hit Amazon...

El Jefe,

Where is that zoo and museum, please?

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I'm sure a lot of member know Mr. Fred Space, President of Space Farm Zoo and Museum. I was with him the other day and he handed me this small publication that he created himself. I found it very informative.
Fred is a wealth of information and a GREAT Person!
You are lucky to have hunted with him[up]

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
How to gut a deer? You walk out to the road, wait for someone to come along in a pickup, wearing orange and a red plaid shirt and politely ask......

1 - 17 of 17 Posts