New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I've seen this posted here before and haven't gotten a straight answer. I drive a 2015 husqvarna fe501s which is a street legal dirt bike( no saddles, bags or anything) and i just bought a beautiful winchester sxp buck and bird combo and would like to know the best way to transport it on this motorcycle. I'd be taking it to a range and or friends house for huning.anyone know if i can backpack it or a phone number to a lawyer who would know best. Thanks

·
Registered
852 Posts
I'm assuming a locked gun scabbard. And the ammo stored separately would be fine. But get some good legal advise first as stated above. You will be painting a bullseye on yourself in this nazi state.

·
Registered
13,559 Posts
As also a motor cycle cop guns and motor cycles don't go together cause when you crash and you will you go one way your gun goes another way .

just my two cents

·
Registered
942 Posts
you are operating an automobile that has no separate compartment. Therefore you are required to lock up either your ammo or firearm within reach. on a bike i suggest putting a lock on both. no reason you should be harassed unless its by a boot.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I take my break action shotgun on my bike(KLR) strapped in a bag on the back all of the time. I've been followed and stopped by COs several times. They look at how I transport it, check my license and wish me luck on my hunt. Never had a problem.

I have also strapped a hard gun case with my 22 rifle in it scabbard style from the back handhold to the passenger footpeg and gone to the local WMA for target shooting. COs showed up and said nothing about how I was transporting it. Again just checked hunting licenses and said have a good day.

I've also ridden past State Troopers this way who I know noticed but took no action. This may be due to the fact I'm fairly rural in and around Assunpink and Collier Mills.

bikesgarage.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Kinda hard for me to strap it anywhere on bike. Was wondering if i could get a soft case with a sling and little zipper locks and just ride like that..ammo in a seprate backpack. Screenshot_2016-01-28-21-34-46-1.jpg

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Kinda hard for me to strap it anywhere on bike. Was wondering if i could get a soft case with a sling and little zipper locks and just ride like that..ammo in a seprate backpack.

Can you make a bracket and attach it to the 2 bolts holding your plastics on(above your pegs)? You could also make a bracket and hose clamp it to your frame(inner tube under the clamp to protect the paint). Purdy bike. With a klr you can get away with some duck tape to hold on the case and a milk crate on the back for the ammo.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
Here's my thoughts - take it for what its worth (which isn't much as I'm not a lawyer - but I read enough of the statutes to at least understand the basics - if you want legal advice, talk to people who do this for a living)

First, you must have it unloaded while transporting. That should be obvious beings we are in NJ. (see 2C:39-5 (c)(2)).

Second, do you have an FID card? If so, CARRY IT WITH YOU when you are transporting firearms on your bike. Will make your life easier if stopped. If you have it, you can have your (unloaded) long gun uncased (say, strapped to a backpack or something). Read statute 2C:39-5 (c). Just make sure it doesn't interfere with your driving the bike or otherwise be a distraction - I bet cops could stop you for some motor vehicle infraction if they wanted to stop you.

c.Rifles and shotguns. (1) Any person who knowingly has in his possession any rifle or shotgun without having first obtained a firearms purchaser identification card in accordance with the provisions of N.J.S.2C:58-3, is guilty of a crime of the third degree.

(2)Unless otherwise permitted by law, any person who knowingly has in his possession any loaded rifle or shotgun is guilty of a crime of the third degree.
Third, if you don't have an FID (or if you want to be really safe from police overreach), read and follow 2C:39-6(g):

All weapons being transported under paragraph (2) of subsection b., subsection e., or paragraph (1) or (3) of subsection f. of this section shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and in the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances.
In short, on your bike you need to have it in a closed and fastened case (zipped (and perhaps locked?) soft case would be good). Again, 39-6 are exceptions if you do not have an FID - for example, paragraph (3) of subsection f is that section that let those who do not have an FID to transport a firearm to/from hunting and to/from range - notice (f) states "nothing in 2C:39-5 (c) shall prevent" meaning, "if you don't have an FID, it doesn't prevent you from...":

f.Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent:
(3)A person transporting any firearm or knife while traveling:

(a)Directly to or from any place for the purpose of hunting or fishing, provided the person has in his possession a valid hunting or fishing license; or

(b)Directly to or from any target range, or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions, provided in all cases that during the course of the travel all firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section and the person has complied with all the provisions and requirements of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes and any amendments thereto and all rules and regulations promulgated thereunder; or...
If you have an FID, you are allowed to carry an unloaded long gun in the state of NJ with certain restrictions. Remember, don't go on the grounds of a school or things like that - all bets are off in those cases.

Note I did not mention anything about the NJAC (administrative code) - there could be additional things in there that might be relevant, but I think above cover the basics.

Anyway, don't take our word for it. Read the law yourself here, and get professional legal advice if you are really worried about it.

·
Registered
7,969 Posts
I was going to get bags for my bike and lock amo in small ammo can. This is for pistol not rifle or shotgun. The bags might come in handy though for locked ammo can

1 - 20 of 23 Posts