New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering how many of you still bowhunt during firearms season. Personally I'll continue to bowhunt until I harvest my permit buck (even though the one I've been seeing probably won't be around much longer). I am just addicted to the bow and find it really hard to put down. :D

B

·
0 Posts
I love to bowhunt also, and if I was hunting an area that was bow only and knew of a good buck then I would keep going with the bow. But I do enjoy to break it up alittle and hear the crack of the shotgun and muzzleloader

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
[up]:)

Same here, except if we really have the bear hunt. Then the only legal weapon I own for bears would be the Remington 870 slug gun.[down]

Im a bowhunter at heart, and whenever I think about hunting, I think about bows. I plan on trying for pheasants with a recurve in the near future. Im also gonna start trying for a bear with the bow a little more seriously. Ive tried PA, but Im gonna try NH next year if I can afford to make a trip.:)

Bowhunting to me is just so much more fun. Glad to see you feel the same way![up]:)

·
Registered
13,448 Posts
I alternate between bow and Gun during gun season. I have property in Zone 13 that gets very little pressure and the proprty owner only allows Bow hunting. So I bow hunt there often in December and Jan.

B

·
0 Posts
I love bowhunting for bears, I did 3 trips to New Brunswick Canada its just amazing to be sitting over bait, then all of sudden theres a bear there eating. the weather is gorgeous in September, it's only 11 hour trip, and doesn't cost alot

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im a bowhunter at heart, and whenever I think about hunting, I think about bows.
LOL Me too, to me bowhunting is hunting and gunhunting is gunhunting. It wouldn't suprise me if I don't pick up the 870 at all this year. Even when Spring rolls around I start out with the bow for turkey too and only resort to the gun if I have to. I also have given thought to trying for pheasants with the recurve. LOL Probably get some funny looks, but oh well.

B

·
0 Posts
I wish I had some land to hunt that was bow only, see bigger bucks, deer are more relaxed.

·
Banned
8,011 Posts
The only time this season will be 6-day as the only days I will hunt with a Firearm, all other days with a bow and all of winter bow with a bow too.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Bowhuntercop, If you don't mind me asking how much did that bear hunt run you?
And are you gonna go again?
I've done Texas for Hos and Ram 2 years in a row and Love it. Pretty cheap trip.

B

·
0 Posts
I've done Texas for Hos
no need to goto Texas for Hos we have them in NEWARK :p

The bear hunt cost $1200 plus whatever the tags are, and at that time the tags cost $80, plus add in gas from NJ to there, and tip for the guide, any other things. I would say total $1500, and most likey you still will have $$$$ in your wallet. Yes I do want to do another hunt at this lodge with the bow, and it would be nice to get people that I know and book the whole lodge for opening week of the fall archery bear hunt

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
Question for you all. Can you hunt with a bow during the 6 day Firearm Season? I know it sounds self explanatory but the question has come up recently.
I remember many years ago you could use a bow during the Firearm Season. But it said so in the compendium. Now under the 6 Day Firearm Season it states what firearms are legal for taking the deer and does not mention a bow. Two different calls to F&G gave 2 different answers. One said yes, and of course one said no.

Sooooo, what's the poop? What do you all think?

Thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts