New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just order a training manual from the North American Versatile Gun Dog Association. They say it is good for all dogs. It is their own book. Any opinions on this book?

·
Registered
612 Posts
I've never seen the book personally... but NAVHDA is a great organization and I'm sure would put out a quality book.

I've read several books on training but keep using the Richard Wolters method. He (and his proteges) have written numerous books and made many videos (water dog, game dog, gun dog, top dog, etc)... all that I've seen have been of decent quality.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
mpemt24 Did you ever call that breeder in PA??? I just joined NAVHDA and the local chapter www.rocktavern.org I am reading the book right now and is a very thorough book. I'll let you know how I make out with it. I am going to train my Vizsla for the NAVHDA field tests... They are having a training clinic this weekend up by Stewart Airforce Base... you could probably sit in on it and check it out.
Jim B.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
We beat the rain out and held a very productive NAVHDA clinic for the dogs on Sat. Nice group of people who are very serious about their dogs. The dogs are unbelieveable!!! They're like robots... I learned alot and as much as I would like my dog to be like that, I'm enjoying teaching him and learning myself. What I like is that the guys with knowledge not only help the dog but they are also training the dog owners. At the very least it's a good way to minimize my mistakes. I don't expect to win any ribbons but I'm going to stick with it...
Jim B.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got back from my honeymoon and the book was waiting for me. I have begun reading it and it seems very informative and brought up points I never thought of. Jim I have not contacted the breeder yet. The new wife wants to get settled before we get a dog. I guess I can't blame her. I plan on reading the book and others before getting the pup so I am ready. Hopefully by fall. I know it won't be in time for bird season, but I can't be choosey.

·
Registered
612 Posts
but I can't be choosey.
You should be reasonably choosey... you'll have the animal for probably more than 10 years... you don't want to be stuck with something that won't hunt or is a pain in the arse. My advice, find a good breeder... not necessarily a national champ breeder but a decent one all the same.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ment I can't be choosey about the time of year I get it. I am being very choosey about the dog.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
You are going to like the NAVHDA book. It's a super organization and I'm very pleased with the progress "Hubert" is making already, just after a few short sessions and some tips from the trainer. Some days it's 2 steps forward and 1 step back. I'm enjoying every minute of it. I will offer you this advice, I am very glad I resisted the urge to get a dog before my son was 5. I don't know what you and your new brides intentions are but realize my 4 month old pup is like having a fast agile toddler ripping around the house. There are times that it is utter mayham!!! I'm loving every minute of it:):):)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts