New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as the title says, to early to start grunting a bit, or stick with a doe bleat? age old question for this time of year. thoughts.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I dont make a sound until the rut starts to begin.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a fawn in distress call to use early season. Every time I've ever heard one in nature, the doe and some bucks usually head right to it

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Calling in NJ is tough at best because of how skewed the buck to doe ratio is. Most bucks have plenty of does to breed and just do not respond like they do in some other states with a better balanced herd. I think more harm is done by most guys using calls. Like the guy who set up a few years ago 40 yards from me that turned his can over and over for 5 mnutes straight and stopped for a minute and start all over again.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I tried bleating a couple weeks ago - got busted. I never even saw it, but I heard the deer do the heavy breathing thing - I guess it thought something was strange so was trying to identify whatever it was hidden in the trees making that noise :) People told me I was too early doing it - I guess they were right :)

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
Skewed buck to doe ratio??
there is nothing wrong with the ratio, button bucks are considered bucks too.

Subtle bleats and soft grunts to try to pull one in isnt a bad idea.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I think right now you are better off with light rattling. In a couple of weeks you can really start banging those antlers together and using that grunt call with a few snort wheezes.....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts