New Jersey Hunters banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Although I like to hunt probably more than any other outdoor activity, I also do quite a bit of work with hawks and I have to say that even the hawk numbers are way down, particulalry over the last 4 years.
That is contrary to what I see in the field and driving around. I had a big Red Tail fly/soar right in front of my truck on RT 80 the other day. It seems I am seeing more and more raptors as the years go on. That is not a bad thing, they are cool birds and I enjoy watching them. I once watched an Osprey catch a fish at Kasmir Pond in Wayway. I once had a Red Tail light on a branch just above my head while in my treestand. My son once saw one catch a rabbit from his tree stand.

What I don't understand is why they don't seem to effect the squirrel population.

·
Non Typical
2,265 Posts
I also see a lot of birds along the highway. I part-time at a research station in NW Jersey. 4 to 5 years ago anywhere between 400 and 600 birds were banded. Last 3 years were all under 170. But I agree it is due to a number of reasons. Since the law agains using leghold traps, the number of fox has increased and by my house you can see fox and coyote all the time and hear them howl at night, especially this time of year.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Do you think the turkey population has anything to do with the decline?
No, they feed differently.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Did you guys ever notice how many airborne predators are around in pheasent season. I have seen hawks actually follow the stocking trucks. I feel grouse numbers are down due to natural predators being protected, just take a look along any interstate and you will notice redtail hawks all along the road.

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
yea on a trip to gander mountain i must have seen about 20 redtail hawks..i saw one in lodi at kmart one time sitting on a light post...

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
If you want great grouse hunting ,head over to the western part od PA. We go to the alleghany's and have upwards of 18 to 20 flushes in 6 to 8 hours
Is that an invite?:D

41 - 48 of 48 Posts