New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dad used to deer hunt in the 7's and 80's....he said he used to spook up a lot of grouse while walking to his tree stand...we went hunting at the delaware water gap with our weimaraner and only managed to shoot the only one we flushed up...anyone know any spots?...i was talking to a ranger and he said there was a steep decline in grouse population[confused]...anyone know any reasons why this would be true?

·
Premium Member
13,661 Posts
I found this in the F&W's proposed 2005-2006 game code:

Ruffed grouse are a native New Jersey species. Although grouse populations are cyclic, their numbers are believed to be in decline in New Jersey in recent years. Reductions in season length and bag limit are proposed at the request of the Skylands Chapter and the Somerset Hills Chapter of the Ruffed Grouse Society. The season will open approximately three weeks later and will end on December 31 instead of the traditional end of small game season on Presidents Day. The daily bag limit will be reduced from three to two birds. Reduction in season length by approximately 10 weeks will reduce recreational opportunity for grouse hunters. The reduction in bag limit will have almost no impact on hunters because few hunters take more than one bird per hunting trip.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
about 15 years ago at pequest we used to see grouse all day long. it was no big deal to get 5 or 6 a day. now your lucky to see one a year.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
On the property I deer hunt I saw a couple last year. I haven't seen many over the years on WMA. I have also started seeing more wood [no swearing please] however.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
My opinion, although not scientific... 1. More hawks 2. Less furbearer trapping (no more leg holds) 3. loss of habitat i.e. urban sprawl

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I would say the most significat would be lose of habitat. I know the Ruffed Grouse Society is doing a lot of work to restore the habitat for the grouse. On my property the overgrowing fields are starting to hold grouse.
As a side note, I also read the Pheasant Forever has began habitat restorations for pheasant. They have even tried restocking them in the area. It is somewhere in Hunterdon County. Pheasant hunting the the property will be barred for 5 years to establish a population. However, I think the property is a golf course.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I knew an oldtimer from West Milford who said it was common to flush 40-50 grouse on field edges at one time. He did his hunting from the teens through the 1960's. That must have sounded like a B-52 taking off.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Once I get my pup, I hope to get her out over grouse at my father-in-laws cabin in the Catskills.

·
Banned
4,539 Posts
I used to have a spot in Sussex count near my parents house where i would see 15-30 a day, saw 1 this year, first one in about 5 years, lets hope they are on the way back.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I got one this year. We put up 2. NOt bad for Jersey.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I use to hunt Hainesville about 25 yrs ago and the grouse were kicking up every 10 steps...now you never see them any more..they were alot of fun to hunt

1 - 20 of 48 Posts