New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, last summer I noticed a medium sized groundhog in my back yard. We didn't see him from October until yesterday (May 2nd) so I guess he was hibernating(?). Well, now he's twice as large as he was last year, probably about the size of a cat. He hangs out on our lawn and when we come outside, he runs to the back of the yard and who knows where he is hiding. There are several young children living next door to us and they play outside frequently. The neighbors on the other side of us have a vegetable garden and my wife and I intend to start a vegetable garden, too.

For reasons of safety and because of the gardens, I want this guy gone. Unfortunately, we live in Merchantville which has a no discharge law, so the .22 is out of the question. Does anyone have any ideas for how to get rid of one of these guys in this situation? Is trapping legal without a license, but on a private residence? If so, how do I go about it? Do air/pellet guns fall under no discharge laws, too?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that legal to fire or just quiet enough not to be heard? I also live on a main road and my yard is open to the road, so if I walked outside with my .22, everyone driving by could see me...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
§ 54-4. Firearms and explosives. [Added 4-8-1996]1

No person shall set off or discharge any revolver, pistol, gun, cannon or firearm of any description: provided, however, that nothing contained herein shall be construed to extend to any military maneuvers, to any target practice or to the explosion of dynamite or similar material used for blasting purposes under proper supervision or to any police officer in the line of duty.

to any target practice
Does this mean I can use my .22 for target practice in my yard??? [rofl]

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I think woodchucks are kid safe not many reported attacks.:D Hav-a-hart trap and a little fencing to force him into the trap. My father actually makes a hole in his fence with the trap on the other side. They like to take the path of least resistance.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
see if you can talk to him first get him to see you don't want him around, if he's a reasonable "Parkway Pig" he may leave voluntarily. If that's not the case, get a have a heart trap, trap him and take him for a one way ride, frisk him first he may have a GPS on him!

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
find out where hes getting into your yard and block it off. if hes denning in your yard, block that off. make your yard unattractive for him. if that dosnt work, get a cage trap. havaharts will work but a one-door trap is easier to use. place it along a preferred route of travel and bait it with basically any fruit or veggie. canteloupe works well for me.

·
Registered
14,630 Posts
You don't need to worry about 'safety '. Groundhogs are not savage beasts.
But they will help their selves to your garden.

If you know where the hole is. Plug all the breather holes and stick a 2" hose down the main opening and pack newspaper around it.Place the other end on your exhaust pipe and sit back and read the rest of the paper.!...Remove the hose and leave the paper in place for a day or two. If it stays undisturbed. Then you got him.
Quick, simple,effective.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
My father actually makes a hole in his fence with the trap on the other side.
I did that and within 5 minuets I had the one I was after. Or you can invoke the SSS rule which works even better.[hihi]

my wife and I intend to start a vegetable garden,
Better get the ground hog first. They eat everything starting with what they like the most, to what they like least. I have seen them eat zucchini plants and tomato plants. You'll be left with dirt.

·
Registered
13,974 Posts
In the old days before political correctness they would fashion a hangmans noose from wire and drape it over the entrance to the hole and the other end tied down to something heavy. There is no such thing as one groundhog[hihi] Of course I wouldn't do that. Good luck If you catch him/her live it go at Stu's house[up]

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
[rofl][rofl]

If the den is with in 25 feet of your home do not run water into it , do not use exhust, do not use the sulfer bombs. tunnels systems can be as big as 40 feet in diam and will most of the time come in contact with your foundation some where.

set a gage trap put something like apples or greens in it bait it into the trap. then take it and shoot it where you can do so safely. If you need more help call me.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.