New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here grinds up some of their venison? And when you do, do you mix anything in it? Most people/butchers put some sort of fat in it. If you add fat to it, what do you put in it? And where do you get it from?

Thanks,
David

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Where do you buy the beef fat from? I didn't see it at my local ShopRite. I'm sure I can find ground pork there though.

David

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
1 1/2 Pounds Total per mix

1/3 75% Ground Round Beef
2/3 Ground Venison
3/4 tablespoon of McCormick "Hamberger" Spice
1/2 tablespoon of Minced Onion
Mix Well

Use the 1/2 cup measurer to make the burgers in the press

·
Registered
16,173 Posts
I add beef fat (suet) I get it from Shop-Rite. Sometimes you have to ask as it goes quick this time of year.
For meatloaf and Meatballs I add some beef and some pork fat.If you can't find it All you have to do is ask for it they will cut you some.
For venison I intend to use as chili or jerky I leave plain.

Remember to cook ground venison or any ground meat well done.
I'd starve before I did that. I never cook any venison well done except stew or chili. I like my burgers med rare. Been eating them that way for close o 50 years.:)

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Ahmen brother would rater eat my boot than well done meat. All the taste is cooked out at well done. Thats why people say they don't like game is they cook it up. No sence trying to kill it twice.

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
i use pork picnic or some call it shoulder i think. it's like 99 cents a pound at shop rite.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
Currently Online Posts: 886
I add beef fat (suet) I get it from Shop-Rite. Sometimes you have to ask as it goes quick this time of year.
For meatloaf and Meatballs I add some beef and some pork fat.If you can't find it All you have to do is ask for it they will cut you some.
For venison I intend to use as chili or jerky I leave plain.

Quote:
Remember to cook ground venison or any ground meat well done.

I'd starve before I did that. I never cook any venison well done except stew or chili. I like my burgers med rare. Been eating them that way for close o 50 years.
I work in the meat industry and have been to many plants that produce ground beef. They use the gas and the freezing & chilling equipment my company manufactures. Cooking steaks and so forth rare is ok because any bacteria on the meat is on the outside and gets burned off during the cooking process. Ground meat on the other hand has the bacteria mixed through & through. The only way to kill it is well done cooking.

If you butcher your own deer or have a butcher do it the sanitation procedures are not as astringent as a large commercial meat processer. These places can be sued if someone gets sick and/or have recalls costing millions of dollers. They are also closely monitored by the FDA. Still people sometimes get sick from ground beef.

There are many illness that come from poorly cooked ground meat. I won't go into all those here. There is one called Listeria. Admittedly it is rare, but it is almost alsways fatal

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I leave my ground venison straight. Do my own grinding later in the season when it is cool enough to do my own butchering. Before next year, I will have my "cool shed" up and running so I will have a place to hang deer when it is still 80 F. out.

-dan

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
Yoda,
You don't have to add fat to your venison at all. Just be careful it does not dry up when you cook it. I add spices and seasonings to the cubed meat before I grind it. Mix it up and grind away.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts