New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Yep, lotta deer there too, but off limits to hunting. Isn't that how it goes. :p

I usually see them at the bottom of the hill on that long, grassy field. They also are all over by the buildings, will eat right out of your hands.

What's even worse is that old State facility in North Princeton, that place is crawling with deer, and some big bucks. Think it's in Montgomery twsp.

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I saw a piebald 5-7 point buck in one of the fields by greystone about 8 years ago! neat looking buck! Most of the white was on his back and legs. The neck and head were brown so he would have looked normal with a regular head mount! Too bad! Not that you can hunt there to get a shot at him anyway!

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I have seen a lot on the grounds of Annandale. I would also bet there are a lot around Stokes Minimum Security in Stokes State Forest.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Another place crawling with them is the Duke estate. I was drivng by there about two weeks ago and for the first time, didn't see any deer by the stone fence, then I saw a huge coyte and I guess that was why. Never would have believed a coyote would be around that much concrete and asphalt, but there he was.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Duke is loaded with deer. The United Bow Hunters of NJ just got permission to do a limited hunt in there... I just talked to their president a few weeks ago at my club, he was there as a guest with another member. He told me they had to earn the right though... they were allowed to hunt outside the fenced area (still on duke estate) and were told to take as many does as possible, he told me they killed over 100, and that avoided the managers of the estate from bringing in a culling crew. Since they had such success, they are allowed a limited hunt inside the fenced/gated area and are allowed to take bucks off the property. Score one for the good guys huh?

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I gotta join United Bow Hunters

·
Registered
612 Posts
Actually, any correctional facility in NJ is off limits to hunting with a gun. There is a "home for boys" in Hunterdon county that backs up to park property that I used to hunt. I had my stand right on the edge of the park property and was questioned by two state troopers. It seems hunters had been sneaking onto the property (which is mostly open hard woods) and killing deer with firearms. They told me the managers normally turn a blind eye when guys do it with a bow but can't allow them to do it with a shotgun for security reasons. The strange thing about that property, no posted signs, no fences, no markings of any to tell you it's a correctional facility... if the park property wasn't marked well, I could have easily been on that property by mistake and gotten arrested for it.

B

·
0 Posts
Gun hunting is allowed on the correctional properties, but you must be an officer with the NJDOC, and also have written permission from that prision's head of staff, and YES there are some monsters, and also if you do get caught the officers will arrest you, with out question.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Is that only for state corrections or do they extend permission to county corrections also?

·
Registered
550 Posts
I live in Morris Township right down the road from Greystone Hospital..There are always tons of deer in the big fields..Even though you cant hunt there, that place is pounded by guys..I have a monster road kill that got killed there years ago..I have that half white deer on video years ago, and it was shot with a shotgun at nite in a development in that area..From what i hear the guy never got caught either..

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
If you think there are a ton of deer on the property you should see the smallmouth b [no swearing please] in the ponds. Huge but also off limits.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I agree..The one pond in greystone has big smallmouth in it..That property was bought by the Park Commision, and now you can fish those ponds if you have written permission..I know a couple people that have permission and they always fish there..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts