New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jim Stabile, The Daily Record Outdoors columnist did a real nice artical on NewJerseyHunter today! It isn't available on line so I will try and get a copy to post! If you have the means it is worth picking up![up][up]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Jim where can you get it? Is it just a local paper or regional?

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
in my paper, b7 is politics....i checked the sports section but i couldnt find it...mine might be an old paper...

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Hey Mack, theres an easy way to tell if its an old paper.

READ THE DATE!

LOL:p:D:D:D

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
The article basically says that NJH is the best newjersey hunting website out there, and that it was started by some computer geek named Kris Krause, whoever that nerd is. [confused]:p:D:D:D:D

·
11,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jim just sent me a copy to post here! This is the Daily Record version.[up]

Information about hunting and fishing in New Jersey is closer than ever, only a click away on the Internet, and it's getting better.

Other than here on Sundays, where else could you read about an 18-point buck in Monmouth County, a dead buck on Green Pond Road, another on Route 10, a bear hunt decision being delayed until after the election, hunting clubs with openings, items for sale or given away, what's best for accuracy, dates of dinners, meetings, politics--the sort of information hunters used to trade while hanging around small sporting goods stores.

There's information on happenings in every deer management zone, turkey zone, about butcher and taxidermist reviews and locations, political action, hunting clubs and land leases, dozens of topics. One guy said on his commute between Morristown and Bethlehem, Pa., he counted eight road-killed bucks on Routes 287 and 78, another sign that the rut's heating up. The 18-pointer got hit by a car in Howell in March, after hunters had reported on the site they had seen it in February.

NewJerseyhunter.com/ has been around since February, started by Kris Krause of Jefferson Township, but I didn't find out until a forum contributor asked how to get my column, which he posts on newjerseyhunter.com/ and wasn't posted by the newspaper. After a few e-mails, I located Kris, told him I enjoyed the site and asked him why he started it.

"The website is bottoms-up news, not top-down news, meaning the users/sportsmen of NJ decide what to post/talk about, not me(or some big-wig editor)," Kris said. "Some topics are from newspapers/magazines, others are from word of mouth or guys actually being there(think bear policy meeting or Sunday bowhunting) or out in the field."

Bottoms-up events also materialize--like two "flukeathons," a picnic/3D shoot at Pequest, and hunters meet to talk and/or hunt. Kris said, most of the 500 members are politically active. Kris bagged a six-point buck with his bow Monday at the Rockaway River WMA.

If you hunt, you can't help liking the site, which includes photos of deer and bears, as well as the address to view Penn & Teller's tv program about PETA.. Don't confuse newjerseyhunter.com with njhunter.com/.

Another active site, http://www.njtrout.com/, also started in Morris County and has anglers around the state who trade news, help newcomers, tell what flies are working where, what's being caught and on what, is used primarily by trout anglers but also covers salt water. Denis Ferfecki of Rockaway started this site.

There are sites for information about just about everything, so it would take pages to list all the addresses about hunting and fishing, but hunters should check antihunting sites, see the talking points they suggest their followers use in writing letters to editors and politicians.

Maryland hunters killed 40 bears, including one bruin shot with a .243 calibre by Sierra Stiles, 8, who was hunting with her father and grand-uncle. Tera Roch, 23, a woman who shot the third bear, said it's "good to see kids out there, especially girls." Maryland officials wanted 40 to 55 bears killed in two counties this year, stopped hunting when the goal was reached Thursday. We won't know if our state will have a bear hunt until after the election next month.

The Peaslee and Greenwood Forest wildlife management areas will be the only two WMAs stocked with quail this year, 5,200, about half as many as last year, purchased privately for $3.15 each. Pheasants will be stocked three times a week on WMAs that include Black River, Berkshire Valley, Whittingham and Flatbrook.

A complete list of the Division of Fish and Wildlife's WMAs has been posted on its website, http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/. It shows nearly 100,000 acres has been purchased with funds from hunters and anglers.

If you want to see deer with white ear tags with numbers on them, wearing radio collars at the former Dodge estate in Madison, I've been seeing them in late afternoon off Treadwell Road, which connects Madison Avenue and Woodland Road. They're elsewhere on the property, but this spot is consistent if you want to photograph them.

·
Registered
201 Posts
That is AWESOME!!! Congratulations you guys on a quality site. Sure helped me find the path to knowing what the heck I was doing being new to NJ! Many thanks and keep up the good work.[up][up][up][up]

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
Loved the part about the "bear hunt decision" after the election, and Penn and Teller. This should make things happen. On more than one site besides this one.[up]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts