New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody here hunt the Great Swamp this year. Friend of mine did and said it was horrible, not even close to years past.[down]

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I have not hunted it since I had my truck vandalized by Anti's. Back in the early 90's you could go in and shoot 2 deer in less than an hour. I have heard it has changed for the worse in the last 10 years.

B

·
0 Posts
I hunted just outside of the swamp back in the late 80's, and my GOD the amount of deer I saw, it was more like pick and choose

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I hunted it, we have been hunting it for 5 years now, we have a group of 15 guys, We drive starting the second day, We shot 2 deer this year compared to over 15 last year, we only saw 5 deer, and we hunt "HARD". We talked to craig and he said the deer herd is DOWN. We'll see what happens next year. The only good thing that came out of it is we got permission from few people to bow hunt surrounding property's.

B

·
0 Posts
the herd is down cause the hunters did what the state wanted, the unlimited amount of antlerless deer harvested here is just an example of what will happen statewide if this unlimited crap continues. Take 3 antlerless deer out per year per hunter, thats it, if not soon or later you will be lucky to see a deer in your area.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the problem is that they let too many guys in at once. If you think about it the swamp is around 6000 acres which comes out to about 20 acres per hunter, but then add in the fact that less half is actually huntable, your hunter to acre ratio goes way down. I remember in years past the first hour or so would sound like a war zone with all the shots being fired. My friend said he heard maybe 6 shots between 6-10AM. They should go back to the old way and only let 150 hunters in per day. P.S. Hey Bumhunt if I were you I would bowhunt the surrounding property on those days instead of hunting in the swamp.

B

·
0 Posts
the main problem is that for too many years the state allowed the unlimited amout of antlerless deer to be harvested. If you keep doing that, after time you won't have none left or very few. It's time that the state looks at the good work the hunters have done, and allow the herd to grow, but grow slowly

·
Registered
201 Posts
How do they determine how many doe/buck you can take here. Do they determine it per county/zone or do they just have a statewide allowed number?

B

·
0 Posts
the state does a good job on deer count from harvest records from years past. They do it just like they would any other zone, the Swamp is in its own zone

·
Registered
201 Posts
okay so they send in a biologist and do a count per zone then. Good I was hoping that was the case. Does anyone know which zones normally allow the biggest harvest?

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Hawkeye, red zones allow the largest harvest of does. I cant remember the rule set number, but its the red zones on the map.

It includes zones such as 8,9,13,51 etc.....

Unlimited antlerless harvests in those zones. However, the number of buck harvests allowed per hunter are the same in every zone.

Hope this helps---Matt:)

·
Registered
201 Posts
it does help, thanks you guys. It is a little different in Texas, first we don't ever have unlimited does. And secondly they actually send in biologist to do "counts" and by those findings determine what the healthy number of bucks and doe can be taken without to contain but not damage the population. The usual is a two buck county..that is about the norm..does I think were two or three.

B

·
0 Posts
Would probably work really well here too, once the numbers are where they need to be.
it would work here, and the numbers are where they need to be, unless it's on lands thats doesn't allow hunters to hunt

1 - 17 of 17 Posts