New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use a GPS instead of a compass? If so, which one?

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I used a Garmin Vista and now have a Garmin 60C. The color and larger screen are easier on my Ol' eyes.
It sure has tons of advantages over a compass, but where necessary, you should always have a comp [no swearing please] handy.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I have a Garmin GPS 12 XL, but always carry and use my comp [no swearing please] with it. If I want to go to one of my waypoints, I get the bearing fropm the GPS, set my comp [no swearing please] for the heading and start in that direction, then let the GPS take over as I start to walk to get me to where I want to go.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mate Mike a GPS compliments a comp [no swearing please] but shouldn't replace it, a GPS is an electronic device and though they are well built can still fail or run out of batteries, with a good map, compass, and GPS any can navigate accurately through the woods.

Good Hunting, PS

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
I have a Magellan Sport Trak Map as well. Works very well, BUT, NEVER RELY ONLY ON THE GPS, ALWAYS USE A COMP [no swearing please] AS WELL. Even if it is only to take a initial bearing. You never know when the GPS may get dropped or the batteries give out.

-d

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
i hear the lowrance ihunt blows them all away...think they are like 300 or 400 ..thinking about getting one...can also use it on the boat
I've looked into these models and they have some really nice features like special icons for scrapes, rubs, treestand...etc. But the problem is, I haven't heard of a single person who owns one and can comment on its performance.

David

·
Registered
346 Posts
I use this one. And I like it... It is made by Lowrance and is the iHunt.

Unique Features <<
Exclusive, hunting-specific graphic icons
Built-in electronic comp [no swearing please] and barometric altimeter
Built-in microphone for recording voice notes
Watertight with sure-grip rubber welt seal
Sleek, easy one-handed use, with Realtree Hardwoods® HD™ camo case designed specifically for hunters
Cigarette plug power adapter for car, truck, or ATV use
Display <<
240V x 180H pixel resolution
3" (7.6 cm) diagonal display size
High contrast Film SuperTwist
White LED backlit screen
16-level grayscale
Excellent direct sunlight and low-light/night viewing

GPS/Mapping <<
Precision 12-parallel channel GPS+WAAS receiver
Antenna port for connecting optional external GPS+WAAS antenna
Dual processors for higher speed screen updates and scrolling
Three operation modes: Easy, Advanced, and Hunting
Built-in, detailed continental U.S. and Hawaii background map featuring interstate exit services
One MMC/SD digital media memory card slot for mapping and recording capabilities
Optional Mapping Accessories Pack (U.S. Topo) that includes MapCreate™ U.S. Topo mapping software with unique hunting areas database, one MMC/SD memory card, and an MMC/SD card reader with USB connector
Also compatible with optional Lowrance FreedomMaps™, Fishing Hot Spots® Elite, LakeMaster® Pro Maps, NauticPath™ USA, and Navionics® electronic charts
2,000 waypoints/1,000 event markers/100 routes
Up to 100 savable and retraceable plot trails, with up to 10,000 points in any trail
40 map zoom ranges, 0.02–4,000 miles (close zoom range shown in yards in Hunting mode)
42 graphic icons + additional hunting-specific icons
Internal back-up memory
Easy point-and-map cursor navigation/route planning

1 - 11 of 11 Posts