New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a Magellan Explorist 100 and to be honest... it sucks. I'm looking at replacing it with something else. The features that are most important to me are:
1) Accuracy - being able to find that exact location in the dark, like a specific tree for putting your climber on.
2) Use in heavy cover. While I don't tend to think my area is that dense, I'd like the GPS to be able to lock on the satellites in the heaviest of cover.
3) Ability to download/upload information from the GPS to/from a computer. I specifically would like to be able to back up all of my GPS waypoints and routes.

What would you recommend?
David

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Drag,
What cell phone do you have?

And Chuck,
I've actually contacted Magellan again for the nth time and they finally agreed to pay for this piece of crap to be sent back for repair/replacement. Unless this thing works perfectly when I get it back, I'm going to sell it on Ebay and use that $ for another one. At this point I don't trust it at all.

David

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Drag,
I can't get that phone. Verizon doesn't carry it.

I'm sure someone else on this site has got to know GPS units. Anyone?

David

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
I use a Magellan but only for out of state rifle hunting. I like it but I am not sure what model it is since it is roughly 5 years old.

·
Registered
751 Posts
My Garmin eTrex is really good. I'm not sure if the unit itself can help you with heavy cover. That's a technology limitation but maybe some are better than others. My unit integrates flawlessly with Google Earth. I upload my waypoints and routes and then can see them on the satellite hybrid maps ($20 cost for this version of Google Earth). It's very powerful. The eTrex is easy to use and only around $100

·
Registered
499 Posts
i have the garmin e trex vista, good unit, getting to an exact tree - - no unit other than military units will do that. depends where the satallites are in orbit dectates how accurate. mine will tell me accuracy to 17' or 40' gps units work off three satallites using triangulation almost like loran, but loran used towers. all units have diffulity with a canopy overhead. pay more you get better, the hand held color units go thru batteries faster than black and white. but i like my unit, can get me in and out of woods i've never been in, and i haven't really had a problem with trees with leaves, maybe a dence cedar patch might be harder to get a signal. hope i don't run into that.

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I have a Meridian Magellan Gold (color unit). I purchased the Topo software and the Street software.

I use this unit in my day to day business to go from customer to cutomer with the Street Map. I use it for hunting with the Topo Map and I use it on my boat to PINPOINT wreck and reef locations. It is always within 10-15 feet of the previous waypoint.

I've had my unit tracking as many as ten satellites at the same time. It also shows what ones it is tracking and the strength of each one.

I have two friends that saw how well it works and they both bought the same unit.

It is a little pricey but I figure you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hey bgood, which etrex do you use? Am also interested in getting one and looks like they have several models other than the standard etrex.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I also use the Garmin GPS 12XL for hunting. Easy to use, accurate and links up fast. Excellant choice for marking treestand locations, etc.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
The 60 series from Garmin has a Helix antenna which works better under a canopy. If your gonna be up and downloading waypoints, tracks, and especially mapping to and from your home computer, the 60's also use a serial port, rather than a com. port which loads much slower.
At my age, I find a color screen much easier on the eyes than the LCD's, no matter how much contrast you use.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I use a Magellan Sport Trac with the Topo software. It works just fine down in the pines. I can also upload/download info to my computer and print maps.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I use a Magellan Sport Trac with the Topo software. It works just fine down in the pines. I can also upload/download info to my computer and print maps.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
just to let you know yoda, gps signals are very weak, thats why they don't well under heavy cover. I have a rino and it works very well, also the rino has a neat feature (the model 120 and up) with the intergrated gmrs radio you can broadcast your position in the woods to your buddies, thats cool if you get a deer, your friends can look on the screen and know exactly where you are. you can also turn it off if you dont want anyone to know where you are.

·
Registered
10,462 Posts
I have a Magellen MAP330. It is 5 years old. It is reasonably accurate with WAAS. The accuracy of a GPS reciever is greatly improved if it has WAAS. ( I forget what it stands for)

The GPS system was originally put in place for military use. When civilian recievers first came on the market they did not have the accuracy of the military ones. They relaxed that rule about 4-5 years ago and introduced WAAS. If your reciever does not have WAAS then it will not be very accurate.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
i have a magellan meridian color it works ok but it has features on it that i still have to learn to use. i can down load maps and from the direct route software that came with it it also has a cigarette ligt. adapter/data cable. hope this helps and one day i hope i learn to use it to it's fullest

1 - 20 of 20 Posts