New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking into getting a gps collar for my shorthair. My sportdog 1825 training collar is on its last leg. Had it for 2 years. Anyways, are the tracking collars worth the money?? Which would you recommend? I'm not looking for the top of the line, but pretty close. Only have one dog right now so a multi dog system isn't neccassary. Also, can the garmin series be used as a regular gps aswell? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I use the dogtra T&B collar.I have had it about 10 years and just replaced the batteries. It has a locate button on it for when I want to find her in the thick cover. Not sure what the advantage of the gps collar is unless your do runs real big. I find the locate feature to be great when hunting in maine where the cover is real thick and the dog can be on point. It also allows you to not put a bell on the dog.

·
Registered
26 Posts
There's really only one option if you need a trainer and tracker and its the Garmin Alpha.. expensive but works for miles and lasts for days.. Can't go wrong.

The handheld is very similar to a standard Garmin GPS and you can use it without the collar.. I rescued a very feral 1 year old shepherd/collie mix and she roamed the woods all day.. needed a way to keep an eye on her and call her back.. She's now trained to return on a Beep which also acts as a warning to shock.. She had some really bad habits that needed to be corrected and is rarely shocked now.. but the Beep to get her to return is priceless as I can silently have her return to me from miles away or if she's just getting too far ahead of me hunting birds..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts