New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These buck are both my dads, he shot them this past year with the muzzleloader on his property in fredon. The one on the right is an 11 and the left is an 8. The first time he saw them they were fighting and he got a shot at the 11. 5 days later the 8 came walking through and now there on the wall. They were mounted in the fighting position because thats what they were doing haha. These are the two smallest bucks he has mounted out of the total 15. He mounted the 11 because out of all the big deer he has there all 8's 9's etc never shot an 11.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Nice deer. [up] I like that kind of mount, nice choice.

I have one that is a 13, but a small basket like the 11. Mine would have been a normal 8, but one side had a bunch of stickers on it and the other had just 4.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heres some more mounts we have, had to take them down to do some painting a few months ago. The one in the far back left was 212lbs from conneticuit and was 7 years old, he had 2 slugs in his neck when that the taxidermist found and said they had been there for a long time, tough buck! some of the other mounts arent in the pic but the majority of these are from our cabin in ny state and 5 of them are from fredon.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea the rack wasnt to big but the deer looked like a donkey so he had to have it done haha.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
yea the rack wasnt to big but the deer looked like a donkey so he had to have it done haha.
Exactly. I used to go to Maine. One of the guys has 2 from there. The racks aren't huge, but the bodies are. I missed one on my first hunt up there and I dont think my wall would have held it up.[cry][wallmad][cry]

I still get a little upset thinking about that one that got away.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Always think about that one the got away, i was in nebraska 2 years ago for a rifle hunt. A doe skirted around me through some thick stuff and took off over a hill to my far left. About 20 mins later a hugeeee bodied deer was standing right where she crested the hill turns out it was the biggest buck i have ever seen in the wood and by the time the rifle was on my shoulder he was gone, still makes me nauseas.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
anyone else have deer mounted in a fighting poisition?

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I was on my first morning sitting a half mile from camp. My brother walked off to the left down the trail and said he will get me around noon.

45 minutes later I hear a crashing coming from the right. I get all ready, but then I hear 2 voices. Its 2 guys from camp walking through.

Another 20 minutes goes by, and there is crashing behind me. I turn around, get ready, and again start to hear a voice. Its another guy from camp.

Finally I am discusted knowing I am going to see NOTHING so I set my gun anainst the tree, put my feet up and take a nap. BIG MISTAKE.

After about 20 minutes I hear the faint crack of a stick. I onened one eye to see this "bush" moving in front of me about 60 yards. Unfortunately, that "bush" was his rack. I sat up, grabbed the gun, put it up and fired.

The deer jumped about 10 feet in the air, turned and ran like hell. Everyone came over to look but there was nothing to see but a small pile of 1 inch hair. The outfitter informed me that I gave him a haircut and I was devistated. I can still see that deer in my head to this day, but that is what makes it hunting.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
as my dads says thats whay its called hunting not shooting haha still sucks though i feel your pain, although i didnt miss the big buck i saw it was sickening that he was there and gone sooooo fast!

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Thats why my story sucks. I got the shot, and rushed it. That deer most likely would have stayed there for 2-3 more seconds. If I took my time, most likely, he would be on my wall. I was only 17 at the time, and inexpierance definately played a role in that.

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
[up][up]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.