New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from Maryland on a seaduck shoot. We did real well the the first day, but had we had to earn the birds. Yesterday they were on the deck and in your face, we scratch out on scooters. Seen some real nice oldsquals, but the numbers arent down.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Looks like a good day. Someday I would like to try. Too busy now though.

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Sea duck doesnt taste too good
If they don't taste good, why hunt them.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I dont shoot those kind of ducks but that is just me to some guys they taste great my friends father loves them its what you like.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you are an avid wing shooter, like I am and like shooting different species of ducks like I do. Then seaducks are the ticket, these scooters wear iron feathers.
Makes a great shoot in early duck season when things are slow, like this time of year.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Nice pictures. Is that a TDB? What's the length?

mpemt24 -

You ask a good question. I sea duck hunt also and I can't answer for anyone else here but I'll do my best to make some sense for justifying sea duck hunting with a short answer. (By the way I'm not sure how this post will sound but I'm being sincere and not a "wise-ass")

As you know hunting is a priviledge (not a right guaranteed by the constitution). One of the reasons that we are allowed this priviledge in order to assist our government in meeting its game management objectives (keep a balance in wildlife populations).

So, for me anyway, sea duck hunting is a sport with a lot of action (ducks fly by the spread quickly and often) and sea duck hunters help to keep the population of sea ducks in balance. That's the best rationale I can provide since I don't often eat the sea ducks.

What I do with the sea ducks that I don't eat is place them in the woods of my back yard. There are animals (fox, hawks, racoons, etc...) that will eat them. Since all living things survive by energy transfer (one living organism eats another living organism for energy in order to survive) another way that I justify my hunting sea ducks and not eating them is that the ducks are not wasted but are eaten by other "living organisms" for their survival. Whether I eat them for my well-being or "energy" or another living thing eats them for their well-being or "energy" I don't think makes much of a difference.

That's my rationale. I hope it helped answer your question.

Ant

1 - 20 of 35 Posts