New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got off the phone with my Pop. He told me that he got one (didn't specify size) at 6:05 this morning.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Cold has nothing to do with when they leave the roost. It's wind and rain/fog!!!!!!!

·
Registered
612 Posts
Cold has nothing to do with when they leave the roost.
Really? I've always heard that cold would do the same thing. And I can tell you from personal experience, rain and fog keep them on the roost for a while.[mad] Coming up over the kittatiny ridge saturday morning, I couldn't see more than 50 feet in front of the truck.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Got bird #2 this morning in zone 11.Weight 21# beard 11.5" Spurs 1.58".Know gobbles when i set up at 5:20,first calls i made were at 5:45,nothing.Called again at 6:00,nothing.6:10 bird gobbled at about 300 yds away,gave some loud yelps,no more gobbles,quite.20 after 6:00 white head at 60 yds.and strutting.Killed bird at thirty five yds.at 6:40.Took 20 minutes of strutting and gobbling to come in to thirty five yds.Had two hen decoys out.What a great morning to be in the woods,and i almost wasn't going to go_Once i figure this pic thing out on the computer i'll post pics.Griz.

·
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Congrats Griz!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well after an extremely successful season already in zone 2, I headed out to my club land in zone 11, after purchasing an over the counter permit. I was late in getting up to the farm on Thursday morning and saw 2 gobblers already strutting next to 2 hens. I watched them for 30 minutes before backing out and promising myself that I would not be late on Friday!

Friday morning, up and early, setting up my Double Bull blind at 5:20am, I heard 2 gobbles behind me! well I crawled 40 yards in front of me and set my decoys up. I crawled back into the blind, set up and took a breath. I made a few light yelps on my "Uncle Dickie's Purple Heart box call and they wouldn't shut up! 10 minutes later at 5:55 am 3 hens flew down to my decoys, then a small gobbler , he was then harrassed by the "BIG" boy that was waiting. the big boy chased the small one and started to strut not 15 yards from my blind, I waited about 1 minute before I had a shot with my bow.....Bird # 3 in the bokks! 21.8 lbs 10.5" beard 1 3/8" spurs! Needless to say he's at the taxidermist! have fun!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts