New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got off the phone with my Pop. He told me that he got one (didn't specify size) at 6:05 this morning.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Damn... did he shoot that thing off the roost? It was kinda cold this morning and they (in theory) should have been late coming down. Tell him congrats man!![up]

·
Registered
534 Posts
Cold has nothing to do with when they leave the roost. It's wind and rain/fog!!!!!!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yep,there was a full moon this morning and windy.Blew 2 off their roost walking in at 5:15,to much light.We were in zone 11 this morning.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Cold has nothing to do with when they leave the roost.
Really? I've always heard that cold would do the same thing. And I can tell you from personal experience, rain and fog keep them on the roost for a while.[mad] Coming up over the kittatiny ridge saturday morning, I couldn't see more than 50 feet in front of the truck.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Got bird #2 this morning in zone 11.Weight 21# beard 11.5" Spurs 1.58".Know gobbles when i set up at 5:20,first calls i made were at 5:45,nothing.Called again at 6:00,nothing.6:10 bird gobbled at about 300 yds away,gave some loud yelps,no more gobbles,quite.20 after 6:00 white head at 60 yds.and strutting.Killed bird at thirty five yds.at 6:40.Took 20 minutes of strutting and gobbling to come in to thirty five yds.Had two hen decoys out.What a great morning to be in the woods,and i almost wasn't going to go_Once i figure this pic thing out on the computer i'll post pics.Griz.

·
3,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Congrats Griz!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well after an extremely successful season already in zone 2, I headed out to my club land in zone 11, after purchasing an over the counter permit. I was late in getting up to the farm on Thursday morning and saw 2 gobblers already strutting next to 2 hens. I watched them for 30 minutes before backing out and promising myself that I would not be late on Friday!

Friday morning, up and early, setting up my Double Bull blind at 5:20am, I heard 2 gobbles behind me! well I crawled 40 yards in front of me and set my decoys up. I crawled back into the blind, set up and took a breath. I made a few light yelps on my "Uncle Dickie's Purple Heart box call and they wouldn't shut up! 10 minutes later at 5:55 am 3 hens flew down to my decoys, then a small gobbler , he was then harrassed by the "BIG" boy that was waiting. the big boy chased the small one and started to strut not 15 yards from my blind, I waited about 1 minute before I had a shot with my bow.....Bird # 3 in the bokks! 21.8 lbs 10.5" beard 1 3/8" spurs! Needless to say he's at the taxidermist! have fun!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts