New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a while and on this Patriot Day (NEVER FORGET) took delivery of my Bushmaster M4 A3 rifle in 5.56 (.223).

The best part is I only paid $899 including shipping to my FFL dealer!

No...it is not used, brand new. can't wait to break it in...can anyone recommend a good place to buy quality brass .223 ammo?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Gonna hook up you and your new toy.
http://shop.hendersondefense.biz/product.sc?productId=202&categoryId=5

Hands down these are the best! 30 round mod to NJ legal 15. I have 10 of them and have not had any failure. The anti tilt follower is key. Trust me you will love them, and best of all they don't rape you like some places in NJ ....even if they have them in stock. One guy in NJ would mod 30 rounders to 15 and charge $50.

Oh- yours is most likely a 1:9 twist so your good to go with plain old 55 gr. umc remington. There are a ridiculous amount of places to buy quantity on line but Cabelas online usually has good prices on .223

Have fun!

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
very nice Duane! enjoy!

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
c products modifies a 30 round mag into a 15 round as well. Their mags are stainless steel as well. check them out as they have better prices, however, you will have to wait 6-10 weeks for them as they make them to order.

-dan

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
is that an xm15 e2s? I have the same gun. Best brass is XM193 by federal if you can find it. Do yourself a favor and dont run shit ammo like wolf through it. First thing I did with mine was changed out the crappy stock trigger for a Rock River Arms stage 2. Good luck with it!

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
UMC doesn't it mean Union metallic cartridge???

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dont run shit ammo like wolf through it
I heard that about wolf from someone else as well. How do you tell quality ammo? Stick with brass case? Full metal jacket? Other than XM193 brass, what would you recommend?

·
Registered
4,236 Posts
[up][up][up]

·
Registered
191 Posts
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&rid=&parentType=&indexId=cat20839&hasJS=true

At Cabelas its only $154 for 300 rounds in a dry box for umc. Not too long ago people would have paid $300 just to find ammo anywhere!

Umc is remington's "everyday range ammo" you only have 14" worth of rifling in that barrel (other 2" is that izzy break) so you would only be wasting your money shooting expensive match target stuff. My guess is your not trying to get sub moa out of a carbine[hihi].

100 yards.... the rem stuff is good and reliable.

·
Registered
17,891 Posts
c products modifies a 30 round mag into a 15 round as well.  Their mags are stainless steel as well.  check them out as they have better prices, however, you will have to wait 6-10 weeks for them as they make them to order.
They are pretty well caught up on their magazines. Call before to verify. My last few came in a 1 week.

·
Registered
13,237 Posts
I heard that about wolf from someone else as well. How do you tell quality ammo? Stick with brass case? Full metal jacket? Other than XM193 brass, what would you recommend?
ya brass for sure man...Speer makes 5.56mm LE rounds that are good I think I picked em up from budsgunshop.com Hogue grip is a nice cheap upgrade too. When I buy XM193 its usually from cheaperthandirt.com

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
UMC is UNITED METAL CARTRIDGE. It is Remington Ammo boxed in UMC boxes and sold at a lower cost.

223 has gotten expensive in the last few years.

Great gun. Love shooting them. Enjoy it![up]

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks everyone for the advice!

I went on line to "c products" and bought three of their 15 round magazines.

I also stopped by Cheyenne Mountain outfitters tonight...they had XM193 brass in 5.56 for $109 for 200 rounds so I bought a box. i have a $30 off coupon for cabelas so I think tomorrow I will buy the 300 rounds of UMC ammo too so i can have a couple to try out :)

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Back in the day I was buying 5.56 for 109.00 for a thousand rounds.

Boy how times have changed.

UMC is quality ammo.

I stay away from Wolf (just my own personal opinion)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts