New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out to a piece of property I have permission to hunt last night and scored on a good buck. The hunt didn't start out right. I got out of work later than I had intended as is often the case. I made it to my spot by 4:30 and was hussling to get to my stand.

One the way there, I first spooked a doe, then I walked down a bit and noticed a 6 pointer chasing some does around. I ducked down and he actually walked within 15 yards of me and never knew I was there(wind was in my face). Eventually, one of the does picked me out and the deer busted. I waited a bit to see if there were more deer coming and eventually continued to my stand. As I approached it, I jumped 2 deer in some thick stuff not 10 yards from my stand. One of them was big bodied, but I could not see its head.
I was so dissapointed at this point and figured I had ruined my hunt and actually contemplated not even climbing up in my stand and to just head home.
However, I decided it was worth a shot and that I had no chance of getting a nice buck by sitting at home.
I climbed up the tree and after about 45 minutes I saw a small basket rack about 70 yards down from me, I had no intention of shooting it, but for fun I figured I'd mess with him with a grunter. I let out 3 grunts, he stopped, but never came my way. Two minutes later I hear some noise in the thick stuff in front of me, sure enough it's a deer...it's a big buck! My heart started racing as I wached him ease his way towards me. I stood up, drew back and figured he would come out of the thick stuff immediately. Wrong...he stopped on the edge and just stared out into the hard woods not coming out of cover to offer me a shot. I had to relax the bow as I couldn't hold it anymore. Fortunately, I was high up enough where he didn't see me. Finally, after what seemed to be an eternity, he started moving again. I drew back again and waited at least 45 seconds before he was in an open spot. I only had a small window to shoot through, so I took the shot and hit him right behind the left shoulder. The deer trots off and stops 45 yards in the open and he just stands there. I figured i'd take another shot in case my first wasn't the best. By the time I nocked the arrow he was starting to walk waway again, so I released and hit him right in between the shoulder blades. He takes off and drops not more than 35-40 yards from the second shot. I got out of my stand and went to recover my deer and was happier than what I can describe.
The deer was 3 1/2 years old and weighed in at an even 160lbs dressed.
I passed up at least a dozen different bucks this season, including an 8 point buck with an 18" spread before finally taking this one. Patience pays off!

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
Nice buck.

·
Registered
9,928 Posts
Awesome!

I looked at your photo gallery a while back, and noticed you take lots of nice bucks. Thats great, it takes a LOT of skill, and a little luck doesnt hurt either,;) to be consistently successfull on big bucks with a bow....ESPECIALLY here in NJ.

Congrats!
[up][up]

·
Super Moderator
7,895 Posts
Congrats Stealthy on a good buck! [up] Feels good to get a decent buck....;)

Ps I edited out your first pic that was duplicated.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys.

Yoda, to answer your question, both shots were lethal. First shot went through lungs. Second, went through shoulder blades on top and came out just inside front right shoulder.

I had a similar thing happen last year as well. I double lunged an 8 pointer and he just stood there watching 2 other bucks as if nothing happened. So I put another one in him and he still just walked off! He walked about 15 yards and just layed down, I couldn't believe it.

·
Registered
7,954 Posts
I'm sure for no other reason than peace of mind, it certainly paid to send that second arrow flying. No matter what, awesome job!

David

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
That buck puts his team in the lead with 30 points.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Great deer and great hunting story, way to go. See, you never know when things will come together. One thing for sure like you said, you have to be in the woods to have a chance. You'll never get a deer sittin on the couch watching tv. Hope i'll be posting my pics and story this season..

·
Registered
18,564 Posts
nice stealthy...awesome buck. i saw a nice buck over by your house last night. i was driving to charlestown rd and passed it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts