New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone seeing any geese. It's been dead near me. When is the cold weather coming? What have you guys been seeing?

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
Hunted yesterday, The whole day, Morning spot, did ok, but once the birds pass that's it for the day there as of now, The afternoon spot, again a few ducks and geese, BUT never saw the masses that we would normally see for the 19'th of December. [wallmad]
Few short of limit, but it was a good day together with my buddies.

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
As I have posted, my spot in Central Jersey is void of geese for a 30 mile radius. Every spot that normally has geese on it, water and fields, is barren. If you don't believe that the weather effects wildlife then what is your explanation of this?

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
Been thousands on the Raritan in Clinton.
sky has been black with them every evening

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
Temps next week weds 60, thurs 70, fri 60. I don't think there will be much of a migration this year. If there is one it will be short lived. Good weather to see the tree in NY. [rofl][rofl][rofl]

·
Registered
553 Posts
Been thousands on the Raritan in Clinton.
sky has been black with them every evening
I see The same every morning the past Month they are my alarm clock flying over my house. They fill every local Pond and lake every afternoon. then back to feeding Every local farm and GRASS FIELD is packed, Then back over my house and in the distance to roost on the water till daybreak, There are many that stay local year round, so many that local towns get Federal permits to destroy Their eggs in their nests. and to trap and heard them into box trucks where they are Gassed, And this is not Just The Canada ( New Jersey ) Geese The number of Wild Turkeys ( High Breds ) have become so numerous with flocks containing up to 20, wondering in My back yard, and others Blocking Traffic on Local Roads, Attacking people coming to Close. The NJDFG has been constantly
Trapping and destroying them now for years, Had a nest of 14 Eggs next to my Chimney behind a Bush side of house Neighbor had it destroyed they tried to grab the hen but only got the Tail feathers that I now have, So where are the Geese ??? They surround me for miles, The Turkeys roost in My Back Yard Trees The Deer Eat my Arborvitaes till they look like Popsicles, They prune all my Trees and groundcovers, Fox, Racoons, Possums, Groundhogs. Hawks, Rabbits, Single Coyoty, Round out some of the other Critters I Enjoy throughout the Year, And Waiting For The First Black Bear to SHOW UP. been sighted just 30 some miles from my house. Your Problems of No geese maybe you live to far from North East Monmouth County, [wallmad]

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Every retention pond and grassy area of every shopping center by me is loaded with geese. I've yet to see one somewhere that can be hunted, but the shopping centers in Holmdel had about 500 yesterday.

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
Yes, there are geese year round in NJ in some areas. We are talking about migrators.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yes, there are geese year round in NJ in some areas. We are talking about migrators.
How can you tell one from he other, NJ has been short stopping them for years that most now are Legal Residents And Migrants are few and far between Ask MD. VA. Del. who have accused New Jersey of purposely Short Stopping them back in The 50s Guided Goose Hunting in Those States was big Dollars. And In Monmouth County even if you think No Hunting is The Norm think again The farm sections still have Hunting allowed, a Visit to some of these Farms that fall into that would welcome responsible Hunters to take the Geese, since they Pollute their ponds, Every Town has a Hunting Zone Map And State land for hunting Invest and spend some time in these areas to gain access. I did and many of my Younger Buddies still do, It is all In The Approach and fist impression.

·
Registered
9,652 Posts
How can you tell one from he other, NJ has been short stopping them for years that most now are Legal Residents And Migrants are few and far between Ask MD. VA. Del. who have accused New Jersey of purposely Short Stopping them back in The 50s Guided Goose Hunting in Those States was big Dollars. And In Monmouth County even if you think No Hunting is The Norm think again The farm sections still have Hunting allowed, a Visit to some of these Farms that fall into that would welcome responsible Hunters to take the Geese, since they Pollute their ponds, Every Town has a Hunting Zone Map And State land for hunting Invest and spend some time in these areas to gain access. I did and many of my Younger Buddies still do, It is all In The Approach and fist impression.
Tell me about it. I hunted Maryland 3 times back in the late 70's. The hunting in NJ was better after that for the reasons you stated. How do I know migrants from Residents? Well if you see a particular bunch throughout the year.....well you can figure it out.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
The geese have been easy to find this year. Been seeing the same amount of numbers as in years past, just gotta know where to look.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
The geese have been easy to find this year. Been seeing the same amount of numbers as in years past, just gotta know where to look.
I don't get what they are saying either? May some of you guys only have one spot/field??....Cause They are thick as flies in all the usual haunts 10 of thousands....I actually broke down yesterday afternoon and went goose hunting....put out 18 FB"s and piled them....

Reactions: AYFS

·
Registered
330 Posts
Of course you did Deucey....always with the big talk....but no walk.

Fact is there are not as many geese....at least in the southern part of the state. In Burlington county the numbers are building slowly, but far far short of where they should be given the date. The past 3 years it seems to be later and later that the numbers build. In Salem county.....not anywhere NEAR the numbers. I am in an area that normally supports 25000 plus. On Saturday I saw maybe 500 in the air. Another 10000ish sitting on the water. With the drought we are experiencing, water levels are way way down....up to 2 feet. The geese and the ducks need not move off the roost ponds as not only is there fresh water, but acres of food are now available in places they cannot reach in a normal year

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
13 minute hunt yesterday afternoon with the pops over a loaf pond. Couldn't get the OK for the field but found the pond. Took longer to set up than the hunt itself. Duck numbers are a little low from years past with the water being pretty low where we hunt but the geese are here. Worst part is the field that had over 1k was on probably one of the most traveled highways in the state

·
Registered
553 Posts
Tell me about it. I hunted Maryland 3 times back in the late 70's. The hunting in NJ was better after that for the reasons you stated. How do I know migrants from Residents? Well if you see a particular bunch throughout the year.....well you can figure it out.
[drinking][confused][lol][lol][lol]:026: Got it [confused] Lets see it snows in north & west jersey and forces the geese out and they join The Monmouth County Group they are Migrants, [confused] There is one group about town That can be recognized somewhat There is a WHITE one in the Flock could be a Snow not albino and it is smaller, past 5 years now. I always hoped they would breed with the local turkeys Turkgeese like the Turducken they cook up [tasty]

Plus any I have ever shot were terrible eating, had to use that board recipe [tasty]

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Seen a few the other day. But none came close. Drove by a lake by my house where you can't hunt and it was "New Goose City" there. However I have had swans come into the decoys from a mile away. Wish we had a swan season in NJ lol

1 - 19 of 19 Posts