New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to add some goose decoys to my spread in the off season, used or new, just wanna hear your guys two cents on brands etc, im leaning toward ghg or big foots, i have 3 doz shells and a doz silos, looking for some sleeper rester shells and some full bodies to mix in thanks in advance for the advice guys

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Bigfoots. Very durable and will last a long time.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i wish i could kill em over silos like you man that is sick not to mention so much less work, i unfortunately dont have as much scouting time as id like too, so im usually hunting traffic birds, and could use all the help i can get though might i add i find it incredibly impressive that youre killing them with just the silos kudos man, how many do you usually set out? i hope to one day get to that level of scouting and patterning birds. thanks for the sugestions guys

·
Banned
601 Posts
unfortunately dont have as much scouting time as id like too, so im usually hunting traffic birds,
A man is only as good as his spot(or his friends spot):D

3 tips I'd give you for hunting "traffic birds"

1. Learn to call, You don't have to be a contest caller...Clean realistic clucks, double clucks and moans

2. Learn how and when to flag in other words READ BIRDS...But mostly you'll be flagging your ass off for traffic birds...

3. Run a BIG spread all the time...6doz plus

might i add i find it incredibly impressive that youre killing them with just the silos kudos man
Like a I've said before, you don't have to gulp the kool-aid to kill geese.....Lots of hard core guys all over the country kill piles of birds over silly's

·
Registered
313 Posts
IMO the best full body goose decoys, not including DSD's, are either the GHG FFD Lessers or the Dakota XFD Lessers. I am basing this on several factors, such as the realism of the decoy, the cost, motion, durability, and how they are stored/carried.

GHG FFD Lessers:

Regular - 209.99 per 6 w/ awesome slotted bag.

Sale - $157.49 (right now at Cabelas)

Dakota XFD Lessers:

Regular - $215.00 per 6 w/ slotted bag.

I also really like Real Geese Pro II's, they look great (esp when flocked), are very very durable, and you can transport dozens of them with ease.

Regular - $214.99 per 12 (no bag)

Sale - $161.24 per 12 (right now at Cabelas)

I have no problems with Bigfoots, but I truely believe in motion. As for Final Approach, they would come in dead last on my list.....absolute garbage, and anyone that says otherwise is hiding something!! [ninja]

·
Registered
121 Posts
fa's are that much garbage huh? a few guys we hunt with have em and i definitely like them for the motion. i want to pick up some to add to our bigfoot spread. Like i said above i really like the bigfoot for durability, we just throw them in our trailer. But i will have to look at the others you suggested for motion. Any reason fa's are no good?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i have ghg full body ducks and they are impressive ive seen the lesser ghg they are just a little small in my opinion but the motion system ghg uses looks great i usually put the ducks in my goose spread for motion, motion is great and durability is awesome, thanks for all the advice guys appreciate it. Swampy im just getting into goose this year so spots are at a premium but looking to get more involved in it for next year and ill have alot more time off with the job next year (acrewed vacations) been working on the calling gig and getting much much better with it, not great for speed much yet, but moans mur murs and clucks ive got pretty good, having trouble with the quick spit but working on it. i plan on making some more silos for pure numbers just want 12-24 full bodies for just their realistic presence havent made any purchases but just looking for ideas.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i was checking out the ghg shells with the motion stakes, you think they are as effective as full bodies? i have just shy of 3 dozen shells right now but only a dozen with stakes (no motion) and a dozen silos (probably going to make another 1-2 dozen this off season, but just your 2 cents motions shells or full bodies?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
GHG lessers are good full bodies. Just as effective and take up less space. Also they don't hurt your wallet that bad.

·
Registered
417 Posts
In all honesty, I'd have to agree 100% with silhouettes. My friends and I have 16 dozen sillo's and 8 dozen shells and most of our best days this year came with just setting up 5 dozen sillo's (sometimes less). Yea the full bodies are real nice, but are they really worth the ridiculous price when you can truly do just as good with silhouettes and fit 4 or 5 dozen in a bag that you can throw right over your shoulder.
All it really comes down to is if you are where the geese wanna be. Then just about anything will work just fine. easier said than done though[hihi]

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i was thinking the same thing, i mean full bodies look awesome, but they are a big headache this i understand, im thinking shells and silos are a bettter way to go for porability and all

1 - 19 of 19 Posts