New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Too nasty to go out to the islands today. By the time we got over to the parking area to go into the field it was getting light. We turned the corner to go down the road towards the field, and three does walked out. I dropped to one knee and My brother shot. Two of them dropped, the other one ran. I was in shock, so we walked over to them and my brother told me to go ahead to the box, and that he'd pick me up later. Then I hear another shot not far away. I kept walking out to the point. The shot came from the right, so I turned left and even with all those shots(all within 100 yds. of each other) there was a button buck sitting in the field about thirty yds. from the trees. when he saw me, he started to run, well he only made it about 20 yds. before I dropped him. So that was four dead by 7:05 AM. The guy to the right got a big doe. Not bad for my first time hunting at Sapawna meadows. HUH! :D:D:D[up][up]

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know of at least two other does that were taken, the park rangers will be happy. They stressed that they wanted the does thinned out. Had a good day

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I won't be there until Friday or Saturday for ML, gonna try the islands again. good luck to you!:)[up]

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I heard the shot on Friday morning. I was getting firewood for woodstove and heard the shots. I walked to my stand a little later in the morning. Man, the wind really puts them down in the Phragmites(Fox Tail).

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I just got home. Tell me about the Phragmites, Five of us drove the piece over on Sapawna Rd. The standers(which were in the trees) watched about 15 deer(they said one had a nice rack)zig zag through the briars(the no hunt zone) straight into the Phragmites. We followed them in about eighty yards, till we hit the big creek, it was like a highway system through there. There was trails everywhere.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Over on Supawna Rd is where I hunt. I hunt the farm acrossed the street for geese. Yes, there is a lot of deer in the phrags. That is why they get really big, bone white tall racks. If you look at the trails where they come out you can see where the reeds get caught in there rack. A little tip if you see a trail with lots of reed. Thats big boys trail.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tip, I'm still debating where to set up for M/L. I'm not sure how many people hunt there for M/L, though. I can't wait.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Hunted Xmasstree that monday got this 8, at 3;30 in the afternoon,it was running a big doe around,,good thing i had a deer cart. how did you make out ironwcm?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's an awesome buck, I wound up hunting off Sapawna Rd. that last Sat. of M/L, I managed to call in a good sized spike(go figure), but nothing else. Were you back behind the big lake or out front? I think next year I might spend a little more time over there. I heard it's real nice behind the second set of pines.:)[up]

·
Registered
173 Posts
got him down the road on the right side where the woods opens up,, back by the pines is good too,,, can't wait till next season!,,,

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I set up on the back side of them two little ponds in that bottleneck during the first shotgun session and the only thing that walked up on me was three different hunters that weren't together. It looked like a great place to be. I can't wait til next year either.[up]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts