New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,150 Posts
I just trained my first dog. It's the most rewarding thing I've ever done in 35 years of hunting. It's really not hard.

You've got some great help right here with Ringneck and TJC. I probably spent 100 hours reading and watching vidios before I started and these guys know what there talking about. I'm willing to help out if you need it.

How old is your dog?

· Registered
2,150 Posts
Mack, do it yourself! The dog will do most of it on her own. No trainer is going to teach the dog to hunt and find birds. She will do this part on her own.
You just need to stock some birds and lead her into them.

Take it one step at a time.

Step 1 - Plant some chucker, quail or pidgeons and let her bump and chase them until she is bird crazy.

Step 2 - Make sure she is properly introduced to the gun. (fire a starter pistol while she is chasing the birds)

The rest of it steading her on point. Don't worry about that at this point. Just make sure she is bird crazy and has no problems with the gun.

I've got a starter pistol, video's and a couple of manual bird launchers your more than welcome to use.

There are alot of guys on here to help including me. Let me know.

I met a 'pro trainer' at a preserve last winter and he said he would show me how he does it. Long story short, I realized in about 30 seconds he was a jack [no swearing please] and would have ruined my dog in about 2 days.

Do it yourself. You'll be glad you did!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.