New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anybody know any good dog trainers in the bergen county/passaic county/or sussex county...i dont wanna spend a whole lot...anybody know any good cheap dog trainers? [confused]

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i could use the help...i just dont know where to start....she has a good nose...i take the dummy with wings on it and drag it through the yard and hide it and she finds it easily...its just that when we get in the field, all she does is run around. her nose doesnt even touch the ground...

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks, we were planning on buying chuckars. how would you do it, rock the birds and let the dog run around and find the birds?

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
her nose doesnt even touch the ground...
Doesn't have to mack. They smell the air as they are going. Most won't put their noses down unless they are tracking which is entirely different from scenting.

Tie a piece of the pink tracking tape on the quails one leg. Makes it easier to catch.

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
anybody know any good cheap dog trainers?
Unfortunately they are not usually one in the same.
Sounds like you got help coming in Ringneck.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
I just trained my first dog. It's the most rewarding thing I've ever done in 35 years of hunting. It's really not hard.

You've got some great help right here with Ringneck and TJC. I probably spent 100 hours reading and watching vidios before I started and these guys know what there talking about. I'm willing to help out if you need it.

How old is your dog?

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Any body that would be cheap I wouldn't want them. You only get what you pay for.I sent my dog back to Virginia for 3 weeks and she came back all screwed up.She had separation disorder and it took her a little while to come back to where she trusted me again. Shes back on tract and on her way to be a brag dog.She scent runs then she's on ponit that quick.Spend a lot of time with your dog and get them into birds as much as you can.The dog will start to mature in about 2 years.This dog hunts every thing and I have to pull her off unless they are are birds.Sounds like the ringneck has a plan for you.If the dog ranges to far let them run with the lease or the cord to slow them down.

·
Registered
15,483 Posts
they used to be around 5oo a month depends how quick your dog learns....dog stays there the wholle time so they can work with.... so for the money you get training and boarding....first they train the dog then they train the hunter and the dog together

·
Registered
6,136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
too expensive for me...i will hire ringneck for the job if he still wants to help. ive already met him and i know hes a good guy whose willing to help...

·
Registered
18,010 Posts
Before any one sends there dog away they better be sure the dog will take it. Its serious Buisness. No dog can learn it all in a month. Most trainers are 3 months I beleive they might tell you just to get the dog started.My dog went away to prison when I sent her.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts