New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gonna try some catfishing tonightbased off of the info i gathered on here. Im going to try a small farm pond in wantage. I am pretty sure there are cats in there and since the pond is pretty small im assuming that a few lines in with some kind of stinky bait will work out. If there in there i think with this heat and the size of the pond it should work out[up] I'll let you guys know if it works out.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it works out thats the plan. My girlfriends father caught a 5lb one out of there a few years back he said. But i have never caught one there or seen one. So im guessing he still must be in there and some of his buddies[rofl]

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
If you strike out try Lake Ocquitock (Spelling WAY wrong). The lake in Stokes campground. Can't miss spot for some cats.

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i tried oquatunk the other night and got nothing. Which side the big or little? You ever have luck there? Ive been there 3 times and caught nothing... I am a rookie cat fisherman though ahha

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
I just saw your PM 5 minutes ago, sorry I didnt get back to you days ago. I fish the bigger side for them, but have seen them come out of the little side too. I catch them in the larger side right by the road near the small side. I generally wait to start most of my catfishing 'tl June or so, but now is a good time as well. I also only target them at dusk and after.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Take a few poles and bait them each with something different (Shiner, Nightcrawler, Chicken liver, bacon). See what they're hungry for, if you notice a pattern switch your other rods over. Also vary the depth your fishing. Put one set-up in a few feet of water around structure and one in some deeper water. This time of year 5-10 ft water should hold the majority of fish. Aslo, I reccomend to stay away from store bought stink bait, never worked for me. And if your leaving a rod unattended for a minute or two make sure you leave the bail open[up]

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks ill give it a shot. Your talking about fishing off the road opposite of the little side in that weedy area?

·
Registered
7,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok well very nice night, yotes were howlin owls hooting turkeys gobblin at dusk but no CATFISH. Caught 2 bass on hot dogs sittin at the bottom of the pond. Had chicken hearts, hot dogs, some fresh cut up sunfish and gulp catfish bait oh and bacon. Rotated the baits after a while tryied all diff depths, used bobbers and let some sit at the bottom, nothing. The some geese came in and landed right across my girlfriends line and yanked her rod into the water, so after 15 minutes i finally snagged it and brought in the pole. Eventful night but no catfish :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.