New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made it out today with out any motor issues. Me and one buddy got out.

To our surprise. No one else at the ramp. We also only heard two other groups out. Pretty surprising considering it was about as perfect a day as you can get.

Plenty of birds were flying early. It seemed to quiet down pretty early too. We were done by 9:30.

The days catch was 4 brant, 6 bufflehead and 1 black duck.

How did everybody else do?

image.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
540 Posts
image.jpg Hunted the marshes early and moved within a half hour. Lots of birds moving before LST, I guess because of the full moon, then it died. Moved to the mouth of the bay, ended up with 2 drake green wings and a drake Buffy. Should have had a few more but all and all a good day.

·
Registered
6,299 Posts
Nice hunt guys.

Bacon bits the best way I have found is to slow cook them in the crock pot with some onion, brown sugar, hot sauce and BBQ sauce then pull it apart and makes a pulled pork type of meal

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wallew how do you cook your brant?

I had it for the first time this weekend and it tastes absolutely horrible
I pretty much brine all of my waterfowl. You can find tons of different recipes for this. All a brine is a mix of water, kosher salt and spices. You soak the breasts or whole birds overnight. The brine will pull most of the extra blood and some of the gamey taste out. After it soaks overnight you will be amazed how much funk is in the water. You will also be amazed at how much it will change the taste of the birds.

When it comes to cooking them I will typically grill them. I do sometimes smoke them also.

Baconbits, it just takes a little time and a little experimentation. You'll figure out ways to make birds taste good to you.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts