New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While watching hunting on TV- with those guys shooting deer at 200 yards... that's even boring! The archery seemed to draw (no pun intended) to me.

Having never even held a full size bow I have no idea what to look for in a bow, arrows, or accessories. I intend to mainly do lots of practice, and definitely be out there for deer season bow in hand. So hunting power is a definite must. Personally I am about 5'9", 205lbs, quite strong, and about 68" from index finger to index finger (I assume that is a critical measurement for the fit of a bow?).

I have plenty of space to shoot a bow, so traveling is not necessary to practice.

My budget at the moment is $400 for bow alone, $600 total.

Just to make sure I don't end up in the Grey Bar Hotel... bows are a cash n' carry item in NJ- correct? No permit no regulations... except for discharge of the bow- but not a problem due to the size of my property.

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
Hi fritz welcome,I would go to the nearest archery shop and they will hook you up.There is alot of good bows out.Good luck.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
There is no permit to buy a bow, but you do need to pass the hunter safety course to obtain a bow hunting licence. Here is the link.

http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/hunted.htm

After that you should go to a reputable bow shop, test shoot a bunch of bows, and find one that fits you best. Most bows shoot different from person to person. Thats a good start. Good luck.[up]

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you guys know of any reputable archery shops near Cinnaminson?

I live right off RT 130.

Pretty sure that Ricky's Army/Navy won't let you shoot their bows or anything. They are however just a couple minutes drive, might get a chance to pop in tomorrow if they are open.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Local business results for Archery shops near Cinnaminson, New Jersey A. Archery Range Philadelphia B&A - bnaa.biz - (215) 333-3520 - 2 reviews

B. Aim Archery - maps.google.com - (215) 785-3108 - More

C. Philadelphia Archery & Gun Club - www.philadelphiaarcheryandgunclub.com - (215) 551-4544 - 5 reviews

D. Leonard's Sporting Goods - www.leonardswildlifeart.com - (610) 449-6409 - More

E. Sportsmen's Center - www.sportsmenscenter.com - (609) 298-5300 - 2 reviews

F. Bullet Archery Products Inc - www.bulletarchery.com - (610) 833-5890 - More

G. Sportsman's Outpost - www.sportsmansoutpost.com - (856) 881-3244 - 2 reviews

H. Bow For It Inc - www.bowforit.com - (215) 598-3767 - More

I. Neebe Archery - www.bowforit.com - (215) 598-3767 - More

J. Double Action Inc Indoor Range & Archery - www.doubleaction.org - (610) 626299561062323433 x610 - 2 reviews
More results near Cinnaminson, New Jersey »

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...&q=Cinnaminson+nj+Archery+shops&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Google Search Cinnaminson NJ Archery shops. Here is what I got.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
sportsmen center bordentown right on 130 ask For Ron or Paul they'll set you up

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
welcome to a great hobby and addiction enjoy[up]

·
Registered
14,787 Posts
Welcome and good luck[up][up][up]

Shoot Straight!

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
Go around to some local shops, although not to many left. Try EVERY brand you can. See what companies draw cycle, wall, grip and just overall feel you like the most. And thats not even letting an arrow fly yet.

Don't get wrapped up in gimmicks, your buddies telling you "this is the only bow to get", maybe its not for you. Some guys get the cheapest bow on the shelf and can stack arrows with it. And sometimes thats the way to go, look at middle grade bows, lower end bows are built cheap and are noisy, higher end bows( the only ones you see in the ads) are most of the time hard to shoot for someone new to the sport, you need good form and consistency for them to be the GREAT bow they are out to be.

With a low budget, and getting your feet wet in the sport. Take my advice I posted first, find a company you like. Go on Archery Talk and check out their classifieds for a good priced,good bow. Their are hundreds on there. If you find you like the Hoyts or Mathews, PSE go to their forum sites and check out their classifieds for "the" bow you want.

As far as getting a bow setup, if its a GOOD shop, they will set up any bow you bring in, not just one you bought one from them.

Hope I didn't ramble on to much for you. I have seen MANY new archers buy the WRONG bow for themselves because the local shop talked them into it, or a five page magazine ad said so, or they just plain didn't do their homework and didn't know the difference.

Good luck in your journey, it is a great sport to get into, no need for steroids, night clubs and crazy girl fiends wont kill you in your sleep.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Fritz-Go to the Sportsmens Center. They are less than a half hour from you and they will get you setup to start shooting.

·
Registered
5,875 Posts
Archery is addicting, once you get started it doesn't take long to spend a bunch of money.

I am about 5'9", 205lbs, quite strong, and about 68" from index finger to index finger (I assume that is a critical measurement for the fit of a bow?).
You can get a ball park estimate of draw length by taking your wingspan and dividing by 2.5 so for you it would be between 27-27.5", that would be a good place to start. A decent shop should be able to set you up properly. There are a lot of good bows on the market, you need to see what feels best for you. Don't rush into buying a bow shop around and shoot several to see what you like.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
As other said, go to an Archery shop. They will fit you and get everything lined up for you. Don't try to buy one over the internet or catalog. Also, see if you can take some lessons. It helps out to develop good shooting habits when you start. It's hard to break bad one.

·
Super Moderator
12,370 Posts
welcome!
take the drive alll the way to north jersey and go to strictly archery. it will be a hike but if u plan on going to get a bow that day you will leave with a bow and know more than ever about archery. Tom and Ray are by far the best shop (my opinion of course) around. Well worth the trip especially if you are new to the sport! they will make everything easy and enjoyable. They really know their stuff[up]

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Welcome to the most addictive thing I have ever done:D

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
My budget at the moment is $400 for bow alone, $600 total.
Everyone is saying goto a local shop??????? How many new bows are in this price range? Not many new bows out there for under 400 bucks.

If you choose to go to a shop, the number one guy to go to is Ronny at Sportsman center. He will get you set up proper no matter what bow you have in your hand.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
welcome and good luck[up]

·
Registered
8 Posts
I will also say sportsman center in bordentown. They fit me into my 600 dollar budget with no bs and continue to give excellent custumer service long after the sale.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts