New Jersey Hunters banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened in DE, but figured I'd tell the tale here. I've harvested 1 deer with my bow since 2000 and that was back in 2001. Its really starting to get to me. This happened on a private lot that I have been hunting for years. The deer have been looping around me the last couple weeks. So decided to move. Well, here's what happened.

Snuck out and set up on the ground where I thought the deer were crossing the woods into the field. I was afraid I was a little too far north, but by the time I got down there, I didnt have time to screw around. So, I set up in an area that gave me four 15 to 20 yd shots if they came through. It was 3:40pm and I was ready to go. Forgot the bug spray, that was not fun. It is Nov isnt it?

Anyhow, at 4:25 I see a deer cut into the woods. As I feared, I was too far north and he went around me about 40 -45 yds away. But I did see horns and he was just pacing back and forth. So, when I lost sight of him, I reached into the pack and did a grunt sequence. Put the call away and got ready. Well, here he comes. Cautious mind you. Not charging in. It was a tall 6pt. Nothing like the monsters people talk about here, but it would be the biggest I've ever taken, gun or bow. Well, he slowly works his way towards me. He crosses infront of me, walks behind a tree, I draw, he comes around the tree 20 yds away, stops, broadside, but, yes but, covering his vitals is a thin indian gr [no swearing please] bush and 1 stick crossing right in the middle of the boiler room. I'm saying to myself, "just one more step you SOB!" 2 mins its a staring contest. I'm thinking do I try it? To me he's a monster. But I said no way. That arrow deflects, cripples him and I cant find him, I wouldnt be able to look at myself in the mirror. Well, when he does move, he pivots left, takes 2 steps and does a 180, looking right at me. No shot.

I hold draw for maybe another 2 mins and I have to let down. I do it slow but he's staring right at me. He sees me but doesnt bolt. Bobs his head a couple times, stamps his feet a couple times, then slowly turns and walks away. To add insult to injury, He does stop one more time about 30 yds away. His head and vitals behind the tree. Gives me a full view of his guts. Then he slowly wanders away. He wins. When I look at my watch, its now 4:50. 25 mins of heart pounding action. But no venison.

I stayed until 5:15 when it got too dark in the woods to shoot. 5 more deer went around me. If anything good happened, none saw me leave, so they werent spooked. I now know where I should have to move too. So I guess there's hope.......

[sad]

·
Registered
14,010 Posts
I am yet to take a deer with the bow since I started in 1999. I too was frustrated this year. But it is stories like these that happen to me that keep me in it. Hang in there buddy.

·
Registered
6,890 Posts
Keep after 'em. If you see them go through an area more than once, move there immediately. Many times, people are afraid to move their stand, but get aggressive, move on them right away before they change their pattern again...it will happen for you.

·
Registered
16,174 Posts
I can't count the years it took me to get a deer. I always hunted from the ground, and did alot of still hunting. well my wife bought me a tree stand for my birthday one year and it's been sucess ever since. Although some years it takes months to score, it's just great being out there. Have faith, persistance pays off.[up]

·
Registered
5,435 Posts
Don't let it get to you. You made some moves that put you into shooting position. Now all you need is a bit of patience and you'll have one down. YTou made all the right decisions as a bad shot is a lot worse than no shot in my opinion.

Just so you know I have not taken a deer with a bow in 3 years.

I p [no swearing please] all the little bucks and I don't shoot does around where I live because so many of them get poached during shotgun:(

It doesn't bother me one bit because when I see a big buck come into range it will be worth the wait. I missed a nice 8 pt last season at 15 yards because the wind blew my tree around just as I shot.I didn't even get mad I just laughed it off.

Enjoy the time in the woods and learn that a succesful hunt doesn't require a kill all the time.

·
Registered
5,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its just not meant to be. I moved to within 15yds from where the deer paraded by on Friday. Had great cover and a nice lane to shoot. Today, one buck, then a doe went right by where I sat before on Friday. Deer were moving despite the warmth though starting around 4:30pm. I'm putting my father in the area I was in the last 2 hunts and I'm going to hunt my ladder stand about 100 yds away. Thats if the wind is SW as predicted. If it swings East early, we are done until shotgun. No place we can move on our small farm and I cant get off any other time this week.

I think next year I'm going to bag the vacation I take for the shotgun days and just hunt this week. Nobody else in the area is hunting and the deer are moving. Cant beat the excitement, dispite the lack of success.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts