New Jersey Hunters banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Things might be lining up again...havent been up so far this season and likely would only get one opportunity to make a pre-season run. Would be mostly cold rolling if I go.

Just checked the weather up there for this coming week, lol. Its time, lol

• Mostly sunny, with a high near 48.
  • Monday Night
    Mostly cloudy, with a low around 33.
  • Tuesday
    Partly sunny, with a high near 49.
  • Tuesday Night
    Mostly cloudy, with a low around 33.
  • Wednesday
    Partly sunny, with a high near 48.

·
Registered
6,562 Posts
Heading up for beaver again. I've been getting the itch to go here myself. Ready to start,just hope our weather cools down more.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I might be heading to Maine myself. Trying to figure times with my trapping partner. Def. going the week before Thanksgiving for deer. Might run a small line then. Targeting fisher, martin, rats. Maybe a cat. Hope your times work out for you BT.

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
s122 said:
Love the Dacks! I wish I had more time to get up there. Good luck!

Thanks, and it is great to never run into a hunter that I dont know.

Running into a deer is sometimes just as unlikely. But the country makes up for it.
Plus the possibilites are nice also.

A local kid 16 took a buck from the area I hunt a few years back.
dressed 279. A few of my guys have even missed that buck.
Anyway those are the possibilities.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
you planning on doing a week trip or a weekend run

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Same area I trapped last year in the Green Mountain range in Vt.

IF I go, it would be more for land critters this go around. Id set for otter and coyotes mostly, though I doubt Id walk by any beaver and ignore them Buck. Id take whatever I would walk past to check coyote sets. I do know a few colonies I never got to last year that I could hit. Most of those were near decent coyote bottoms and those areas did have good otter sign when I went up during fisher season.

Best of luck if you go NJtrapper..I havent been to Maine since I was a kid. I know the trapping is similar to what I did in Vt.

Most likely Id be staying longer stints this time Ryan..Id be setting for coyotes and the check is a daily check. I was able to make trips home last year because the water sets are on a 3 day check up there. Im looking to likely stay about ten days or more with maybe making only one trip home for a night and to drop off fur. I would miss the start of nj here.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes on footholds up there...No snares allowed, but conis up to 8" are legal on land Up until mid december when their cat season closes, then its a size restriction on them or they must be more than 5' off the ground for fisher.
Pretty much everything is good to go except snares and toothed footholds and colony traps, lol

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
[cry] I want to go so bad. One of these years I want to get 10 days off of work and go set steel up north. Its actually a dream of mine to spennd a entire winter up there trapping.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Its different Ryan...they dont have our overall numbers up there, not by a long shot. Youre in raccoon and fox central here..its a bit sobering up there compared to here. Theres more coyotes, but way less canines overall. And there's more beaver but way less mink and raccoon, if any ***** at all in most areas. And the terrain is VAST. Its a challenge in a mountain environment compared to the little micro-habitat we've got here where theres a critter behind every bush.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
I really just want to go put up numbers of beaver and get a otter and some martin.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
that can be done anywhere North, lol. No real number or Marten where I go. Think you need to head further North, but then youre getting into the Lynx restrictions.

·
Registered
457 Posts
BT, Congrats on your catch and pics from last season in VT. Wish you the best of luck in Vermont. I will be heading up to Maine again in two weeks for marten, fisher, weasel, otter, beaver, mink, and rats. This will be my third season of trapping in Maine. I will be lone wolfing this year so hopefully I can take some time for some photos. Good luck to everyone on their traplines.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BT, Congrats on your catch and pics from last season in VT. Wish you the best of luck in Vermont. I will be heading up to Maine again in two weeks for marten, fisher, weasel, otter, beaver, mink, and rats. This will be my third season of trapping in Maine. I will be lone wolfing this year so hopefully I can take some time for some photos. Good luck to everyone on their traplines.
Best of luck to you too. Maine looks neat. I know they have tighter restrictions in the lynx zones too. Marten would be fun to target one of these years

1 - 20 of 25 Posts